1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Why many non-TMS pain folks arent getting better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Sep 5, 2020.

1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

If The fear vs safety model of TMS is accurate according to the new Alan Gordon program, I don't know why many people who dont know about TMS have their pain.

I've talked to many chronic pain people who are unaware of TMS and many say how they dont let it bother them or limit their activities and that they have learned to live with it (aka not trying to fix it).

It seems to me these people are following the program without knowing it!!

So why do they still have pain if they don't have the fear and preoccupation around it like I do?

It would seem to me people who are t getting better are those who are freaking out, so if expect the non tms folks to pretty much all be doing that

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

The answer is simple. Because these people still believe they have a physical problem. They don't realize that their pain is psychogenic. They have an inaccurate diagnosis and are working off of an incorrect premise, which is to "manage" or "cope" with the symptoms of their "condition'. They may not have as much fear or anxiety as you for example simply because they have resigned themselves to it and more importantly, their main belief is a false one. You can't treat a psychological issue with physical treatments. You can't get better or reverse neural circuit pain if your belief is that it's just an incurable thing you have to cope with or manage. Wrong premise, wrong treatment. In fact they are not following any program at all. They are just existing and muddling through life in pain as best as they can. Personally I could never accept that. "Managing" or "coping" was for the birds (and most CBT therapists or pain management doctors etc prescribe just that) and there was no way I was going to roll over and accept that. Accurate diagnosis of TMS is the foundation for reversing the pain strategy. Without that it's like trying to drive a car with no gas. You don't go anywhere. Step 1 is accurate diagnosis and throwing false beliefs out the window, Step 2 is losing the fear and step 3 is shifting focus and step 4 is living your life.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    backhand, TG957 and Idearealist like this.
  3. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

miffybunny,

Simple but profound explanation that is worth repeating. Brilliant!

miffybunny likes this.