1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
When is atrial fibrillation not TMS?
Hi Pemberley,

My wife 72 had a major stroke February 2018; she is doing better than most due to quick intervention and the administering of the wonder drug TPA.

The repercussions have been ongoing visits to Neurologists, GPs, Heart doctors and even several visits to a stroke victim support group.

The most recent issue has been suspected A-fib and she is under the care of a heart doctor with the salubrious title: “Electro physiologist” (the rhythm of the heart). He stated A-fib is particularly difficult to detect and comprises of the two upper chambers misfiring. It is very illusive, but considered serious, especially in stroke recoveries. My heart warmed when he voluntary mentioned the subterraneous processes that make the heart function. In essence he recognized TMS.

In order to detect a possible A-fib contraction, as well as other heart characteristics, she had an implant monitor inserted several months ago. So far no detection, she will have this until the battery runs out in three years. My wife has her life back, we value every day, she does water aerobics and we plan to travel again this year. She has peace of mind.

I do not think your mother was given a heart monitor to appease and get rid of her. I sense you both distrust the doctors, (sometimes understandably), but they should be the source for questions about A-fib, have you considered changing doctors, my wife’s doctor is a lovely man who emits positivity and understanding.

Your suffering mother needs all the support she can get. So perhaps doctors may not know whether A-fib is TMS or not, they do know it can lead to serious consequences, why take the chance. I’m sure she has TMS with the list of issues you mention, we all do, but our aging bodies get the point of needing TMS help in the form of gentle care giving and understanding.

I hope this helps.