1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A Physician's TMS story - RSI, Hyperacusis and much more.....

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Alicia Batson MD, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Carly

Carly Newcomer

Hello,

Can you please tell me how to find a therapist. I am in Scotland. Thank you.

2. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

3. nelsonaj

nelsonaj New Member

Hi Alicia,
    It's very interesting to see the list of symptoms you've experienced. I am new to the TMS recovery process (on day 8 of the educational program). I believe my first symptom was clogged ears/feeling of fullness in the ears, which started over 5 years ago..my neck pain developed in the last 2-3 years and then brain fog/imbalance, pressure in the head and occipital area started about 5 months ago. Along with anxiety/panic attacks sprinkled throughout. I have been to ENTs, allergists, chiropractors, physical therapists, cardiologists, pulminologist, accupuncturist, yoga, and therapy. Throughout my endless search for information, you are the first i've seen that has listed all these seemingly unrelated symptons that i feel are similar to mine. It's just encouraging to hear. I recently met with a doctor who treats TMS and will be attending his lecture next week. Although I just started seeing a CBT, I am looking into Switching to a TMS therapist to fully tackle this beast.

Since reading Dr. Sarno's Mindbody Prescription, I am cautiously optimistic, and feeling a little better, but some days are better than others. I have been through a lot in the last few years which is why TMS makes so much sense to me. I'm hoping a therapist will help me with coping mechanisms.

Thanks for your encouraging story, it's always nice to hear validation from a medical professional.

Amanda

Lotus and Balsa11 like this.
  4. kara

kara New Member

Thank you Alicia for your testimony. I know it can really help others suffering with tms by sharing your success in overcoming the many pain issues that it can cause. I myself am so thankful everyday that someone mentioned tms to me. I can't imagine where I would be without this knowledge. I was so resistant at first. Someone gave me the book "healing back pain" by Dr John Sarno and it took me 10 years to finally think to pull it out to read it. It was then that I realized that I had donated it to goodwill. I then ordered it off of amazon. I suffered for at least 12 years with chronic back pain.It started in my late teens and didn't really pick up in intensity until my mid 30's. I also had many spells of vertigo, as well as carpel tunnel in both hands. In addition, the twitching of the eyes, and food sensitivites that were so random. I could eat the same thing the next day and have no problem at all. When the food issues started I would have stomach pains so bad I couldn't move and could only talk in a whisper. That was true agony. As time went on the stomach pain subsided and then i would get hives all over.I am sure I have left something out but what I am getting at is I am now 90% pain free. I was not one of those people that was cured quickly. It has taken me a couple of years to get to where I am now. I no longer take pain pills, (I was on them for over 4 years) and it was very hard to stop them. Havent had them in over a year!!!! and hardly ever a muscle relaxer. I also was able to cut out the cymbalta for my pain..All the things I never thought I would be able to do I am doing. I now have 2 grandchildren I carry around all day when I watch them. I walk a lot, and far. That would have never been possible a few years back.I can even sleep on a soft bed when I travel. My life revolved around my pain. In addition I tried every therapy that I could find but nothing kept the pain away.That is no longer true. I want to end by saying that tms is real and it can be cured.Don't ever give up and remember you might be one of those people that can cure very fast or you could take more time like I did. Either way it can be cured.

5. Mala

Mala Well known member

@kara , yours is a wonderful story too. Why don't u write it in the success stories forum. I'm sure many ppl would benefit greatly from reading it. :)

Mala

6. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

Thank you for sharing your story. It's encouraging to know that you have found healing after a couple of years. I've been at it for about a year and a half and have made some great progress while I've also had some intense set backs with the back pain and new pains. Sometimes it seems like it's never going to stop. I struggle to quiet my nervous system while having a high stress job and would pretty much bet money that if I didn't work in this particular position I would likely not have back pain. Maybe I'm setting myself up by saying that, lol.

Balsa11 likes this.
  7. honey badger

honey badger Peer Supporter

Hi Alicia,
    Thanks for sharing your story and for continuing to help so many as a holistic physician. I wonder if, as a doctor, you have any ideas about PMS and/or menopausal symptoms being a part of TMS at all. I have recently read that women in different cultures experience menopause differently, and that got me thinking that maybe there is a cultural influence in how we view these symptoms. Just like carpal tunnel syndrome is experienced only in some Western cultures, eventhough so many cultures use keyboards (a point Dr. Sarno talks about in his book Healing Back Pain), I wonder then if it's similar with monthly hormonal symptoms, or with menopausal symptoms. Do you have any theories on this?
    Thanks again!

Lotus and Balsa11 like this.
  8. MigraineSky

MigraineSky Newcomer

Wow! Great story. Thank you for posting!!

By the way, after I found out about TMS and was healed from all my own pains, I also trained for a triathlon. :)

Keep up the great work!

9. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

excellent post and means so much to me that you are a medic and did not see that you had TMS. Makes me feel less stupid after about ten years and finding Dr Sarno im 80 % better already. Wish i had found this years ago.

Balsa11 likes this.
  10. sacolucci23

sacolucci23 Peer Supporter

Thank you for posting this. In addition to all of my symptoms, I have developed hyperacusis. All of my ear and balance testing has been normal and so, I was diagnosed with a migraine disorder, specifically, Vestibular Migraine.

This gives me hope that I can overcome and desensitize the nervous system.

Balsa11 likes this.
  11. westb

westb Well known member

I've been around the forum for a little while but I've only just read your story. So helpful. My main symptom is IBS plus anxiety and I'm particularly grateful that you listed all your symptoms (and incorrect diagnoses) , and in particular rectal muscular spasm, since I have this condition and I haven't come across anyone else till now who mentions that. Your whole story has inspired me to keep doing the work and eventually to come out the other side.

Balsa11 likes this.
  12. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

There is a pill that a gastro doc gave me for relief from these while i was having them. Life saver, until you get those muscles to calm down.

13. onetruedog

onetruedog Newcomer

14. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Did all of your symptoms went away? I struggle with abdominal pain, and ibs after using antibiotics but I have also teeth sensitivity/teeth pain which I'm pretty sure is tms(I mean how can low dose of tetracyclines damage my teeth so much?). I'm not sure about abdominal pain, but it's already 7 years and even with ibs people don't have CONSTANT pain like mine(that's why I think that abdominal pain can be a TMS too[had already gastroscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound, tons of other tests and it looks like structurally I'm perfectly fine], but I'm sure about teeth). I can see that struggled with teeth sensitivity too, did it went away?

Balsa11 likes this.
  15. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Teeth sensitivity is often mentioned here on the forum. I had it and it went away. Use the search function to find threads that talk about this issue.

16. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Doing too many structural things can make it worse.

17. Krmzydn

Krmzydn Newcomer

hello, i'm new here. I am experiencing many symptoms. Pain, dizziness, stinging, burning, joint muscle pain, skin contact and the hardest thing for me is tinnitus and hyperacusis... It's been 2 months since I started TMS application. The pressure and ringing in my ears and head increased a lot and this caused me to stay at home again. Do you have any advice?

18. deny

deny Peer Supporter

What about ear popping, pain, clogged feeling after a sinus and ear infection? Its the tubes then damage?