1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Acid Reflux-Help!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by blackle22, Jan 22, 2017.

1. blackle22

blackle22 Peer Supporter

Hi! Yes I was able to eliminate it

Lotus and Kira like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Newcomer

Yay! That’s awesome! May I ask- did you just do Tms work or did you eliminate things/change your diet? I’ve had it over 2 months and it’s driving me crazy which I know isn’t helping. I’ve been able to kick or eliminate other things with Tms but this one has been hard.
    Thank you! And I’m happy to hear you’ve over come it!!!

3. blackle22

blackle22 Peer Supporter

Yes! I pretty much just did tms work. I feel that once you become indifferent to the symptoms it all slowly improved :)

4. blackle22

blackle22 Peer Supporter

Don't give up! Keep doing the work because it really WORKS! YOU'VE OT THIS!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    LaRubia and Kira like this.
  5. Kyzer Soze

Kyzer Soze New Member

Sounds like your under a lot of stress or perceived stress. This leads to TMS. When it comes to anxiety and worry do the opposite. This is very hard to do but attack it head on. If you are doing a lot of introspection about yourself....don't! From your pic you are a young woman which very likely means you are a very healthy person. Tell yourself I will no longer be anxious or live with TMS. Keep it simple. Don't analyze your symptoms. I had TMS for over 20 years ie...lower back /knees/foot. I also had anxiety... bad for too many years. No anxiety/ No TMS/ No problems for me. You can do it! Tell yourself TMS /Anxiety will NEVER affect my life

6. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Newcomer

Thank you so much blackle22 for your encouragement!

7. Albertson22

Albertson22 Newcomer

For acid reflux try little baking soda in water in the morning. And for your throat pineapple juice helps to soothe it

8. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Dear blackle22,

wow, one year ago I was writing in this thread here.. tiphata

One year ago, I was in a similar situation like you. I am happy to tell you that my TMS (and Reflux) became a very little part of my life now. I eat what I want, drink what I want -> I live my live and do what I want and what I love...

I want to point out the following: This website and all the said things about TMS are completely true.

Fear is very strong and it's the biggest part of TMS. Because of this, outcome independance is a key word I think. Alan Gorden predicts: Do not think about pain or how you will feel if you have pain. Only do the activity, nothing else. In my case, being outcome independent was one of the key strategies to overcome TMS (and I had many symptoms...).

Kryzer says a very important thing. Stress is a part of our life. Sometimes stress can cause TMS. That's not bad. I thank my body for this attention sign. We are human beings with desires and feelings and we should accept that. During a busy period of time we sometimes forget that point and WANT to move on, to force ourselfs to continue. But sometimes it's important to relax, to look inside our minds and to deal with our feelings and desires -> TMS work.

I recommend Alan Gordon's "new programm" and the SEP.

Moreover I recommend mindfulpractice like meditation and doing yoga. These two tools became part of my life and I practice every day. And I love it :).

Joining this community is the beginning of overcoming TMS. The people here are quite helpful and understanding. I wish you all the best for your journey. I am convinced that you will overcome your fear and your pain.

Greetings
    Basti

Lotus and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. blackle22

blackle22 Peer Supporter

I don't have it anymore :)

10. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Oh, I wanted to talk to countrygirl:-D

11. Ben

Ben Newcomer

Thanks for this encouragement. I think I'm dealing with the same and believe I'll find some relief.

Kira likes this.
  12. Kira

Kira New Member

Hi there- this is my exact issue! I’m doing the work. But the darn throat pain is scary. I’d love to chat and see how you managed the fear and what program you did. Thank you!!

13. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

Hey guys, I also had acid reflux. I realized that it was definitely tms. I resolved it by becoming aware that I was "finding my voice." I'm happy to answer other questions :)

14. Kira

Kira New Member

Juliemtherapy thank you for sharing. Really appreciate it. Hard to find success stories on obscure things like acid reflux, as most that suffer with it, it doesn’t bother the or isn’t chronic and painful. Mine is very painful and chronic and I guess my question is how did you get over the fear put in you from the medical world. Doctors have called it a disease (which sounds like for life and broken) and have diagnosed it as having a weakened lower esophageal sphincter. I know it’s nonsense but it’s hard to get the image of the wide open sphincter out of my mind. How did you let go of the fear as symptoms were happening? I know if I could ignore the pain and symptoms long enough, I could calm down.

15. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

I had chronic acid reflux, now I still have chronic abdominal pain, with acid reflux comming ang going and what helps me is that knowledge that even if acid reflux IS structural it's still nothing major. I mean you can live 100 years with it, and it will not cause major damage to you EVEN IF it's structural. Besides even if someone don't believe in TMS, and it's 100% sceptical about everything, don't believe that back pain is because of stress and emotions - everybody knows that gastro issues are corelacted with stress. I mean half of people before stressful events have problem with their stomach and bowels. Not to mention that lining of stomach and bowels recovers in what, a week or two? So even after acid reflux incident, you should be fine after two weeks and that without any medicines or herbs or anything. I mean I used drugs to lower my acid and what my stomach did? Produced even more acid! Co it's not structural thing(unless in my case!). Remember that we are still almost a cavemen, in prehistoric times you had to quickly evacuate your bowels if some wild animal was chasing you. That means emptying your stomach too. No point in having good digestion if you gonna be eaten.
    Actually you don't have to ignore your pain to calm down, you can also start tolerating it. I know it's hard, I know it's counter-intuitive. But TMS work is not some "law of attraction" wishful thinking. Life is hard, especially when you want to archieve anything meaningfull, in our case it's pain free life...
    But we are looking in wrong direction. Goal shouldn't be pain free life. Goal should be mastering our mindset and emotions. Even if you can't "defeat" your pain, you can still win in your mind. And it's not easy, but it's worth it. I think it's the most important goal in our life, to not be saddened or angry because of external things, but be masters of our own internal life.
    Sorry if I'm rambling, I still struggle a lot with my symptoms too, and english is not my first language but I' ~year into TMS work and it's worth it. I still have exactly the same physical symptoms, but lot of mental symptoms are much better, and my life is much better too. I'm not expecting that I will be better after another year. I know it.

16. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

I let go by realizing: doctors do NOT know everything. Most doctors are very out of touch with thinking about a whole person instead of just symptoms. Instead of being afraid of the symptom, what if you could look at it a more neutral way: it's just information from your body about how you're feeling emotionally. It's ok to be scared, but you don't have to give the symptom SO much power over you.

Doctors are generally very fear based and they project that fear onto their patients.

I handle most of my physical symptoms in therapy at this point--once in awhile I'll consult an MD and they usually just make me paranoid and upset :-/ It takes finding a really great doctor who has a keen understanding of the mind-body connection to get this stuff.

Kira likes this.
  17. Kira

Kira New Member

Oh my gosh Julie, I just realized you responded to my comments on TMS Wiki a while ago...before I heard your interview even. So excited that we get to chat soon! Xo

18. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

The burning throat symptom is not GERD is LPR

19. Karim

Karim Peer Supporter

My only symptom is burning nasty pain in the back of my throat super irritated throat

20. Nick5049

Nick5049 New Member

Hi everyone! I am coming here to ask for advice because I am so, so desperate. For the last two years, I have had this awful bloating and belching after every meal, as well as coughing. Sometimes the coughing has gotten so bad that I have thrown up for no good reason. This last year has been the worst. I have had every type of antacid and PPI prescribed to me to no avail. I have had an endoscopy, which told me I have esophagitis. I had esophageal motility issues where they were saying that my esophagus is only effective about 50% of the time. And recently I was just told that my doctors are putting me back on the same PPIs that didn't work in the first place. I read Dr. Sarno's "Healing Back Pain" and think TMS may be the answer, as I am healthy otherwise and have no structural reason why this could be happening to me. I have just begun journaling every day for about half an hour and have been doing it for about a week now. So far, I have noticed no changes. How long did it take you guys to notice changes? I understand that everyone's journey is different, but also need to know that there is hope for me if I decide to continue. Besides journaling, what other practices do you all suggest I try? Thank you so much for reading this. I really appreciate anything you have to give me. Just as long as it's not more PPIs. I must add that for some reason, I have felt no pain. Though they told me I have acid reflux, I have never had heartburn or chest pain or any sort. I am unsure of what this means.

Kellso and Cap'n Spanky like this.