1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone out there who has had failed back surgery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cammb33, Nov 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. cammb33

cammb33 New Member

I had a microdiscectomy/laminectomy(less invasive than a fusion-no hardware) of a herniated disc. It reherniated and It has basically made symptoms worse.
    I realized no one’s gonna fix me but myself. I listened to sarnos first book and felt better right away , but I have not had a pain free day in months. (Which is not 100% convincing me that it’s TMS) My biggest take away so far from his teachings is that the fear of physical activity is gone as I push myself more and more but still experience pain.
    Just wondering if there is anyone else that had surgery that didn’t help and is now turning to dr sarnos way.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @cammb33
    Welcome. Sorry you are in pain, but it is amazing you conquered your fears! For some of us, fear is not the only element to our healing journey. Sarno suggests that perfectionism (which manifests in many ways) and goodism can contribute to our pain, and it can take some time to heal.
    Here is the search thread for “failed surgery” it is common, and discussed by Dr. Hanscom in his book (he is a spine surgeon who also has tms and tms warrior!)
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/search/1505311/?q=Failed+surgery&o=date&c%5Bnode%5D=2 (Search Results for Query: Failed surgery | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome))

Ellen likes this.
  3. johnebbe

johnebbe New Member

Hi there,

I have had quite a lot of pain, mostly lower back, but also from an umbilical hernia. Haven't done surgery on my back, went away from reading Sarnos books and lifting heavy weights. But I had my umbilical hernia repaired. It failed and the pain worsened after the surgery. I decided this was TMS as well and it went away.

cammb33 likes this.