1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

anyone saw great improvements with changing diet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Apr 5, 2019.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

hello. by sugar im guessing oreos and such and not fruits right?

2. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

Stay away from added sugars as much as possible. In fruit, eat the fruit rather than juice, as there are benefits to the fruit itself.

There are worse things than Oreos, so make sure all that “fun” stuff is done in extreme moderation. Save the regular moderation for the real thing, ice cream, chocolate, maple syrup, etc.

Enjoy what you eat, while eating real food.

3. stevow7

dang. you make it sound a bit extreme. diet is important but don’t need to be extremely picky. that could end up in an eating disorder.
    i can tell from my own experience.

AnonymousNick likes this.
  4. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

Not sure I would agree. Notice the words—“as much as possible”
    & “moderation”.

I eat pancakes made with coconut & whole grain flour, with flax & chia seed with maple syrup, chocolate cream pie, without much sugar & no oils, full flavour ice cream( natural flavors) almond butter(no “added” sugar), fresh veggies(no added salts or sugars) etc etc—As well, I enjoy many dinners at the better restaurants.
    While you cannot find any sugar at our home, we have several varieties of honey. In fact, as you can see in the picture, I do enjoy my wine

In reference to junk food with sugar listed as the number one ingredient and trans fats, 50% saturated fats with each serving, etc. Then yes, I refuse to eat that way. Call it an obsession or whatever, but I call it eating healthy and studies have shown food is medicine. My weight, height, BMI, etc are better now than they have ever been.

I see your point, if someone is doing it as a weight issue only, then it could lead to an unhealthy outlook on food.

Happy eating

Sita likes this.
  5. stevow7

i get you. thanks for replying!

6. stevow7

almost every day when i eat at night i tend to have extremely dry hands and they even cracked and when im done eating i look bloated. i eliminated nuts for 3 days or so but still experience this. i wonder if its stress related or something else. i can’t even close my hands without pain and sometimes they bleed. i did some lab testing for celiac (i think its celiac because i looked for info online about the results) and came negative.

7. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

I’m sorry for your hands issue. I battled severe hand eczema (no bloating, but it was like the skin on my hands was stretched like an overripe tomato). I wanted to let you know my personal story about it. On the one hand, it’s very possible that my cause/remedy may have been a placebo. I have multiple TMS symptoms, and I’ve been through many symptom imperative cycles. So full disclosure – I am still in TMS recovery. But, on the other hand, I don’t think that everything is always TMS, and it took me about six years to figure out my hands eczema problem. I have mainly back pain and neck pain that are TMS, but no more problems with my hands.

The root cause of my “dyshidrotic eczema” was a metal allergy (nickel and titanium). I went through bazillions of tests, freaking out that it was a fungus or something. My hands used to crack and bleed so badly. I couldn’t even wear Band-Aids since I couldn’t put the sticky part of the bandages over the open skin. So I would wear gauze and tape, and people were always asking me, “What did you do to your hands?!” It was embarrassing, terribly painful and lowered my quality of life. As I’m sure you know too, it affects everything you do. Even using the bathroom and washing your hands becomes an ordeal. But the best diagnosis I could get from my doctors was “eczema.” Not even the allergist I saw thought to test metals.

After tons of meds that barely managed it, the basic food allergy test (where they do all the little pinpricks on your back) and a food panel blood test, I did a food elimination diet to figure out sensitivities. I’ve posted about that elsewhere and don’t really need to go into here. But I can say that I completely agree with everyone above about real food and moderation. Avoiding processed stuff, refined sugars and caffeine definitely helps my mood/energy/sleep. It doesn’t affect my TMS symptoms, but it does benefit my mood when facing TMS symptoms. This isn’t a food sensitivity thing. It’s just basic nutrition.

For my hands – there was one time a couple of summers ago when I was at home for a few days and didn’t leave the house. Often, the summer was the WORST time for my eczema, but those few days, it really calmed down. I left the house to run some errands, and, that night, my hands were getting bad again. So I thought through very carefully about what I touched. It occurred to me that the itching (it always starts with itching before the cracking/bleeding) was the places where my fingers touch my house keys. So I started doing some Internet research on what metals are in keys. That led me to nickel. One of the things about nickel allergy is that it spreads all over your skin, even if the nickel only touched one spot. It can also take a day to really get full-blown. I think this is why it took me so long to figure it out as a contact allergy. It’s also possibly inherited. My mother has a nickel allergy that I didn’t even know about until I talked with her about this. She’s never noticed symptoms for herself from touching nickel, but she has had metal testing and nickel did come up. (She has chronic hives – so, who knows. Again, quite possibly TMS too.)

I have not returned to the allergist to test for metals. I live in a rural area, and it would be quite a drive for me to do that. It’s a long test (you have to not shower for a day or something and then return to the allergist), and my health insurance company is pretty much denying everything now. But I don’t feel like I have to get tested because, after changing my house keys to the decorative ones (it’s coated so that the nickel isn’t exposed), my hands are finally normal again. It took about 3 weeks after I changed the keys and the key chain to fully experience healing. Sometimes, my fingers brush against the car key, which I can’t change. I get a little itchy, apply a low-level steroid, and I’m fine. There are also creams you can get online to coat your hands that protect you from nickel. I use that before going shopping for clothes since the metal hangers bring it on. I also found that soaps/shampoos/creams with titanium dioxide make me react too. Once I removed those, everything really cleared up.

One caveat: If you look up about nickel allergy online, there are lots of sites that talk about how it’s in the soil and in our food. There is no way to really test how much nickel is in everything that you eat. I would say, don’t even go there. As a TMSer, I know that I have a tendency to go overboard with research and then starting a new routine. (“If I’m going to do this, then I’m going to do it right!” Aka perfectionism.) Personally, I knew that if I let myself do this about food, then it would turn into an unhealthy outlook on food. Fortunately, the key to my eczema was the keys! So if your situation sounds at all like mine, I would suggest (1) getting tested for metal allergies or (2) just doing what I did – think through what you touched. Maybe your pots and pans have a high concentration of nickel, and that’s why you react at nighttime after cooking and doing the dishes? If that sounds like worth testing to you, then don’t go buy high-priced kitchen products – go to a Habitat resale store or Goodwill, find a stainless steel pot and test it out for a few days. Or even better yet – borrow one from a friend. Or just use oven mitts when cooking and rubber gloves when doing the dishes. That’s the thing about this metal. I can touch most doorknobs and be fine. There’s a higher concentration of nickel in keys and cheap costume jewelry. Found this out once when putting on a necklace I hadn’t worn for a long time – itchiness started in the fingertips where I latched the necklace.

So as I said above, this could totally be a placebo since I’m a TMSer. But I’m always reminding myself that not everything is always TMS. And I’m just happy that my hands are not cracked, bleeding and itching anymore!

Sorry that this went on for so long. But, obviously, this was a huge ordeal for me and my heart goes out to anyone dealing with something like it. I hope that you can find some relief soon, whether it be TMS related or contact allergy related.

Sita likes this.
  8. Harryberry

Harryberry Newcomer

For now, I'm just limiting the number of calories. I plan to try the keto diet.

9. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Imagine what happens to most people after drinking 5 cups of coffee

1. Muscle tension
    2. Feeling animus
    3. Urge to empty bladder
    4. Tense ad more

So diet definitely plays a role in how we feel and how our bodies function.

Over the years I have done almost zero fat to almost zero carb diets and the conclusion for me was to follow what works best for my body. There is no diet that is perfect for everyone except perhaps eating a whole food diet and avoiding process foods as much as possible.
    Here are three posts I wrote on diet to clarify more.

First one is on a diet that prevents disease.
    Disease-Preventing Diet (fredamir.com)

Why a low-carb diet can cause sleep problems for some
    Sourdough For Good Sleep (fredamir.com)

And why type 2 diabetes is not a blood sugar disease
    Diabetes Is Not a Blood Sugar Disease (fredamir.com)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  10. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

I agree with it as well. Our health depends on our intake.