1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Back of head pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kittyruns, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

So I belong to an alcohol support group on two different forums. One is Marco Polo where we make video clips and then you watch them when you can and the other is Annie Grace's "This Naked Mind" group. Annie is a wonderful person who actually helped herself through debilitating back pain with Dr. Sarno's book!
    Recently, I have been having this weird pain that wraps around my jaw, around my ear and into the back of my noggin.

Now, of course, this coincides with issues I am having with my son graduating from college and is living with us and not really doing much around the house or helping with our new puppy (claims he is too busy job hunting). I am angry with both he and my husband and feel this anger sometimes boiling over into drinking too much, yelling and screaming and then being in pain! Talk about a vicious cycle...oy!

So, I am attempting to quit drinking, lose 30 pounds and start doing radical amounts of self care. I also have to mention that my son has been dating an Indian woman for almost three years but she will not introduce him to her parents. I don't really know what to think about this. Culturally, I am pretty sure that her parents want her to marry a successful Indian man and not some unemployed kid who lives at home with his parents. This situation is also ramped up because when he is here with us, I just want to start some kind of dialogue with him about some issues and then have to back away because I know it will end up with me drinking too much, yelling and screaming and then beating myself up for not being able to discuss the matter rationally! So, I am hoping that with some re-reading of Dr. Sarno, some extreme self love/care and ditching the booze, the pain in my jaw (talking), my ear (listening) and head (thinking) will resolve! I also think I will use @Baseball65 method of telling his TMS to not F*$K with him! I actually love that idea because I am repressing huge amounts of anger and agitation right now. Not to mention even looking at the US News....oh my gosh....it's enough to make me sick to my stomach. Thanks for letting me vent! Feeling better already just writing this and getting it out!

Sita and Baseball65 like this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is pretty classic. I was just re-reading Mindbody prescription as I came down with a mini-relapse. In the appendix (no pun,lol) Sarno points out that he broke with Franz Alexander on the "specific symptom/specific situation" deal. Sarno believed that any situation might cause any symptom.

I think I lean toward Alexander on that little detail. Your connection with the situation with your son is a prime example. I have found that to be true over and over again. I still use Louise Hays 'encyclopaedia' whenever I have a symptom , if only to save time in the writing... It gives me a head start as to WHICH part of my life to scrutinize first. My TMJ issues happened when I couldn't SAY what I wanted to say to my abusive girlfriend. Back pain is almost always about Supporting myself (economically) and my most recent deal was about Moving Forward (hips) and Male issues (thigh)

I do the writing, review the literature and of course;;;;
    ... and it still works after all of these years.

Kittyruns and Sita like this.
  3. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

I love that quote......"And it still works after all these years."