1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Constant nevousness and pain simultaneously

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lunarlass66, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Lunarlass66

Lunarlass66 Well known member

Hello everyone.. (and I'd like to extend my thanks for all the kind replies to my posts over the past week... The support and knowing I'm not alone makes ALL the difference.)
    My major problem at this point is waking up with horrible panic, anticipating panic and right along with it immediate mid back, rib pain when I move or even breathe deeply. I know I'm wildly tense because I can feel my abdominal muscles clench too. Then I walk hunched over which makes it hurt even more.. I've been to two drs and the ER with it and they all say it's musculoskeletal and one even said she felt a knot behind my ribs.
    The thing I find impossible to do is not be afraid of the pain. Last month, it was my low back for two months... It's just making me nuts, for lack of a better term. I just want to curl in a ball and cry.. Plus, the VERY unpleasant panic symptoms.. (upset stomach, shaking.. Etc..)
    I can't help thinking CURRENT stress or upset brings it on, not just repressed or historical traumatic events in my life, I just need some help. I'm scared this will be my life for good... Oh yeah, and the icing on the cake is my medical anxiety... I imagine my spine as made of tissue, inflexible prone to pain and injury at the slightest movement.. Discs weak and bulging.. ( as MRI shows and mild scoliosis, stenosis on one level) told by doctor "normal wear and tear... Doesn't stop the obssessive fear.
    I am in counseling too.. Not helping. Fear is in charge. I just don't know what to do anymore.. :(

2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I'm in the same boat you are, rib and shoulder/arm pain on both sides seem to be my nemesis right now. But the waking up in the middle of the night and the anxiety, which causes the upset stomach, is all-too-familiar, so please know you are not alone.

I have also noticed I have been more upset with stuff going on in the world, and posts on social media, particularly politics which tends to get me in a tizzy. I'm a debater and like to express my opinion, but in this day and age its either ridiculed or intolerable. I do find myself tensing up in those situations and I'm wondering if that is also causing problems.

How long have you had your TMS? I've had mine at least two decades now, so I have some very entrenched beliefs that are probably causing issues.

Hopefully we can both get support for this frustrating mindbody disorder.

ViviSchl likes this.
  3. Lunarlass66

Hi Jules,
    Thanks SO much for responding. I've been dealing with my symptoms now for nearly 4 yrs in all kinds of variables. What makes my situation so confusing is that my symptoms "seemed" so physical and structural that I went to multiple drs, ERs, PTs, had Nsaids, pain killer injections, steroids, heat and cold, MRI and multiple xray.. All of which produced little to no resolution.
    To compound the confusion and despair, just over 20 yrs ago I had a lumbar laminectomy and never had any back pain again until just a few months ago. The year before that it was Plantar fasciitis and the year before that IT band syndrome and a hamstring tendinopathy... All of which I did all the conventional treatments for. It's getting to the point where it almost seems comical and ludicrous to think these "injuries" are just spontaneously happening one after another when they never did in my entire medical history...
    To top it off, I fit the TMS personality profile to a tee, and I've had major, major (and still current) personal life upheavals and total tension at home 24/7....
    So, it's kind of hard NOT to believe in Mindbody Syndrome and at the same time, having total FEAR of health issues, I can't stop thinking it could be structural or systemic... I've been to so many doctors, that I no longer trust any.
    Rib pain is my newest addition... With any movement or a deep breath. I totally sympathize with your pain Jules, I do.... I'm here to listen if you need... Nancy

Jules likes this.
  4. Lunarlass66

Oh and I too am so sensitized and easily upset by world events and the craziness of the United States government, I have to stringently avoid the news, which annoys my housemate/boyfriend because he's not particularly supportive of my issues and he's a major news buff... If he could watch it 24/7, he would and then incessantly complains about the demise of the world which increases MY stress... Aghh! What a mess...

5. Eugene

Eugene Well known member

I totally relate to both the negative news problems and the waking up anxious issues. I got so bad with it that I had to stop watching and reading about all news. The only thing I read in the paper was strictly music and movie reviews and sport. I felt better for that but when my symptoms eased a but, it is thankfully, I started to drift back to news reading, but trying not to take it as seriously as before. I realize now that the media companies feed our addiction by making us constantly worried, which makes sense as if they reported just good news we probably wouldn't be as paranoid that everything is doom and gloom.

As for the waking with anxiety I just keep reminding myself that it is all TMS related, including the anxiety itself, and that seems to be helping me out at the moment.

Jacqui9 and Lunarlass66 like this.