1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cramping and twitching that won’t go away.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tapepsi89, Jun 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tapepsi89

Tapepsi89 Newcomer

So to explain my current situation about 2 years ago when I was 28 I noticed that I would get twitching all over my body following exercise. I googled it and let’s just say that the infamous “ALS” popped up and I’ve never been the same since. I stopped exercising and shortly thereafter started developing cramping all over my body which eventually “settled” into my right arm specifically. It scared the hell out of me to have my arm twitching and cramping (usually at rest) which it did for over 2 months. I saw a physician, they did a full medical work up including EMG + nerve conduction study and everything came back normal. Truthfully I can’t remember when it did stop (I was relieved nothing was abnormal and the symptoms subsided eventually). I was cramp and twitch free for almost 2 years.
    Fast forward to 2020 which has been the year from hell, my mother passed away in January after battling multiple myeloma for 4 years. It was a very painful and traumatic thing to watch her die especially at the age of 57. Following her death I think I was in denial as I didn’t really process it. Back in mid-May though I started getting twitching and cramping again and coincidentally was having more nightmares related to my mom. The cramping after about a week settled in my left leg this time where it has been for a month and a half. My anxiety is once again through the roof. The difference this time is while the EMG was negative (which is the study my doctor wanted to see if there were signs of ALS) but the nerve conduction study found the left peroneal nerve had “prolonged distal latency” but in the context of the entire study “is not to be of known clinical significance”. Despite this it was enough to send my anxiety through the roof. My doctor is referring me to a neurologist especially because he knows how anxious I am. I’m starting to see a therapist for my anxiety but I just feel stuck right now in my head. I also can’t stop grieving the death of my mom. I can’t relax I’m always pacing and crying. My partner has been so supportive but I just feel so alone. What if my leg pain really is ALS and I’m going to die?

Any feedback is appreciated.