1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 1: Introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rachel110885

Rachel110885 New Member

Hi Jules I hope you’re doing well. I feel like our stories are very similar. I’ve overcome back pain and headaches. Now I have chronic nausea. Do you have any tips? It’s horrible feeling like you’re on the verge of vomiting all day every day. i’ve obviously had all tests done and everything comes back normal.

2. Hally

Hally Newcomer

Thank you so so much

3. DLO2GO

DLO2GO Newcomer

Hello. I joined today. Do we follow along for 21 days or go at our own pace or how does this work? Thanks

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Hi @DLO2GO - you can absolutely go at your own pace.

I went through the whole thing one time, relatively quickly. Then I circled back, going very slowly and re-writing the concepts in my own words.

SebastianM and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. DLO2GO

DLO2GO Newcomer

Thanks Tim

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  6. Merv

Merv Newcomer

I am open and hopeful.

7. 1speechpick

1speechpick New Member

I really hope this helps me. I'm suffering so much with awful headaches.

Bex1111 likes this.
  8. MB-1953

MB-1953 Newcomer

I presently suffer with numbness/tingling in my left hand and right fingertips, I was examined at NYU langone and diagnosed with TMS. Do the concepts and exercises of this program apply to my symptoms as well? My conditions started 3 months ago. Do I just substitute pain with numbness? Thanks.

9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello @MB-1953 and welcome. If you are completely new to the concepts of TMS, the best way to learn about it is to read one of the books written by Dr. John Sarno, MD, who was a physiatrist and chief of rehab at the Rusk Institute/NYU School of Medicine.

You are presenting with something other than back pain, so I would recommend his third book The MindBody Prescription (1998) or his last book The Divided Mind (2006, with additional chapters by five other MDs and a psychologist).

Then come back to the main tmswiki.org website, start doing the free Structured Educational Program, and come back here to the forum to read Success Stories and engage with this community. It will all make a LOT more sense once you've read Dr. Sarno. He's a compelling writer, as you will see from thousands of five-star reviews.

10. jhc1013

jhc1013 Newcomer

What ever happened to Dr. Sarno’s research that showed pain was caused by the subconscious mind cutting off the flow of blood to certain muscles in the body.

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Sarno was a clinician and I'm not sure that his oxygen deprivation was anything other than that - a theory.

What do our Sarno experts say?

I personally found "oxygen deprivation" to be briefly useful when I was just getting started, but I stopped considering it pretty quickly as I accessed additional resources about neuroscience and started to understand the stress response. These days I am much more focused on the inflammatory response to stress. But that's just me!