1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 8: The Ignition for Change

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 19, 2017.

1. GShaw

GShaw Peer Supporter

You're so correct! The majority of us are brought up in a similar manner. This goes back in the history of our families.

Once you understand this concept it is my belief you can start to look at life differently.

The key is to really start to love yourself and learn we deserve everything and anything we desire. We are also all capable to have everything we desire. Do not let your mind tell you anything different.

Important to remember, our mind does not want us to live the life we desire.

Xara likes this.
  2. maryj

maryj New Member

This resonated with me as well. I try to be very nurturing towards others but not myself. I’m not sure I love myself. I mean I’m not quite sure what that should feel like. I also feel a lot of pressure from my husband. He just retired and I feel like I’m letting him down bc I don’t want to do a lot of things with him bc of my pain and fear of pain. He has a strong belief system, sort of a “suck it up” belief system that I feel is discompassionate and it makes me feel weak and lazy that I can’t do that. And now he’s home a LOT more than he used to be. I feel like I have no space for working on TMS, or I should say my space revolves around him and when he won’t be around so that I can focus on this. I’m doing it though and it is helping. I just wish I could share more of this with him and have him be understanding of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2022
  3. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

There is a chance, I assume, that there is a part in as that loves ourselves. It is our mind/ body which says no, instead of as and wants to protect as. Sometimes it exaggerates, but we have to listen to it ( I don't have yet did it, I only feel it:))

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

So right...

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a core human issue - lack of self love and compassion. I think the sociologists/anthropologists have theories about why this developed in us - whatever, it really sucks.

Anyway, the thing to do is start slow. Right here. Because I always say that in order to heal, you need to love yourself enough to know, in your heart, that you DESERVE to heal. You can do that, right?

First step: at least once a day, give yourself a HUGE amount of credit just for being here and being open-minded enough to do this work.

~Jan

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

PS - we didn't have Alan's program when I started this work in 2011, so I don't know what kind of writing exercises he incorporates. I worked the SEP, where one of the really effective writing techniques was the "Unsent Letter". Consider writing a letter to your husband. You could even put it in an envelope and address it. Then send it to the shredder.

7. Bex1111

Bex1111 New Member

I am so mixed with this. I know I often feel I am not good enough. For example, I am a good singer but whenever I sing to people, I often feel afterwards like it was shit and when I listen to recordings I rarely enjoy what I hear. At school I felt dumb and now much later life adult student at uni , I always thing I don't get it. My upbringing was good but there were some rough fights from my dad... often angry and a bit violent. I know we were naught and rude but his anger took my breath away at times . I always have been scared of groups of people,.. but I left my home at 18 and travelled and loved it.... I am so ying and yang