1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

e-Motion

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

A powerful video that validates Dr. Sarno and TMS.
    Now they should make a video on how to get rid of those emotions.

That's what our books are meant to do.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting. Does anyone know who is behind the movie and when it will come out?

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It has already come out. I'm watching it right now. It's a mixed bag. Some of the science is weak and some of the therapies are things that Dr. Sarno would never suggest. For example, one guy seems to be saying that the key to overcoming depression is eating a mix of yellow and orange foods and that if you eat a mixture of pineapple and orange, you'll feel results within 72 hours. Dr. Sarno, on the other hand, generally worked with highly skilled professionals and I doubt he would have endorsed this.

Right now I need to head off to dinner (my GF's birthday!), but once I've had a chance to finish the movie and think about it, I'll write more. An interesting thing to be aware of, though, and definitely worth knowing about.

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm all ears, Forest. I recognized a few of the names, Bradley Nelson, Chiropractor and author of "The Emotion Code" and Neal Donald Walsch, author of Conversations with God.

The Emotion Code offers a training course for folks to become EC practitioners to work with people in freeing their trapped emotions. I found it interesting and have a few dear friends who have been doing this. I had a session done and while I agree with a lot of the premise, I checked out when the magic wand, oops, I mean, the magnet came out and was going to pull the negative emotions out. (They rub the magnet up and down your spine three times or something like that.) A lot of folks swear by it. I try to keep an open mind but that was just too much… (Especially since their training program sounds a bit too much like an Amway deal to me too. And it ain't cheap to get certified either.) Yeah, I know. I'm a skeptic. (And apologies if I'm stepping on toes.)

Neal Donald Walsch is an interesting dude and I've enjoyed reading some of his insights. Is it actually God speaking through him? *shrug* I guess that's not so important to me. I think he's go a lot of encouragement and insights that are helping me with my TMS healing.

Walt, to follow up on your comment, the book, "The Emotion Code" offers a healing protocol.

Steve, thanks for posting that. I'll have to check it out myself.

Lily Rose likes this.
  6. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Mainstream yoga has become big business. Anything that is 'big' business is something that must be watched with care. I have steered clear of the Yoga Alliance (raking in more money for the industry) and 'certified' schools which teach how to become a teacher in x-amount of days/weeks, and it will cost an arm and both legs.

My education came from 9 months of apprenticeship with a teacher who only took 3 students that year. She did not take any money from us, but we taught classes in her studio, and she reimbursed us gas money each month.

It is important to listen to your inner warning system. You know when something just isn't right.

And if it costs alot to get certified ......... take even greater care.

Skeptic? No, you just have common sense, and a keen awareness.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

North Star likes this.
  7. North Star

Aw, thanks, Lily Rose. My knee jerk reaction to things is sometimes to scream, "Bovine scatology!" but I've learned to withhold judgement because I'm learning there's SO MUCH I don't understand. Learning to pick the meat out from the financially motivated bones is a tricky dance sometimes.

If I need to figure out a way to certify my love of a good cup of coffee so I can certify others to do the same and spread the cheer. (Only $1,097 if you order my course today!)

8. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

*blinks a few times*

*says the phrase aloud, testing the structure and resonance*

*causes husband to laugh*

Mmmm, I like it. ;)

You can substitute canine or feline or equine ... how fun! A new toy for my rarely used curse words.

with grace and amused gratitude,
    ^_^

Forest and North Star like this.
  9. North Star

I'm afraid my curse words aren't used rarely though I am working on decreasing their frequency…. ;)

hee hee

10. Forest

Lily Rose, that was an absolutely brilliant post about Bovine Scatology.... One of my favorites.

I'm glad to hear you are excited, North Star. There are many intriguing and positive points to the film and I hope it brings many people to understand the mind-body connection. I'd encourage anyone who is curious to check it out online. A two week online rental (what I chose) only costs $15 and a one day rental is only $6. I'd love to have someone to discuss it with. Plus, the more we talk about it here, the more people who are searching for the movie will find out about the TMS approach and actually get healed.

Unfortunately, I haven't finished the film, let alone mulled it over. During dinner, Jen and I were a little too intrigued by the cocktail menu, so we stopped by Kappy's afterward to pick up some ingredients. Jen must be feeling a little flush after filling up her emergency fund (she has so many buckets in her budget that it makes my head spin), because she made a couple of impulse purchases. After sampling some of the purchases, this BOC (boring old couple) took a nap and did not watch any more of E-Motion. For the record, Faertti Chocolate Biscotti Liquor is delicious; Godiva dark chocolate liquor isn't terribly chocolatey; and Stolichnaya Vanil is underwhelming and tastes like it comes out of a food chemist's lab. Now you know. I've updated my Avatar pic to highlight my recently exposed love of a good cocktail. Jen's the lovely lady to the right.

In terms of who is behind the film, it's Justin Lyons, the underwater photographer who was the only person with Steve Irwin, "the Crocodile Hunter," when Steve was killed by a Manta Ray in 2006. In the following clip he discusses Steve's death and connects it to his new movie. The interview making worldwide headlines (because of people's connection with Steve Irwin) about a month after his movie was released is, I am sure, pure coincidence ;):

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    North Star likes this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

This is all really such great stuff. Thanks to Steve and Tigerlilly and all you others for sharing
    thoughts on the eMotion video and the Justin Lyons interview.

It's basic Sarno TMS and we need to keep going back to that, how our repressed emotions cause pain
    and how mindfulness, staying focused in the present, in the here and now, helps rid ourselves of
    negative emotions from our past.

I practice Lyons' suggestion every morning before I get out of bed:
    Make my first thought positive and happy. I tell myself I am going to have a wonderful day.

It wasn't easy this morning because last night I watched a new movie on DVD I had not known
    about but it starred Jared Leto and I wanted to see something he'd done recently. I won't tell the title
    because I don't recommend anyone seeing it. It was long, almost two and a half hours, and full of
    violence, strangeness, about people making wrong decisions that led to disaster. I should have turned
    it off but kept hoping it would get better, but it didn't. It also had cars and buildings exploding
    and sure enough, I dreamed my house exploded on fire.

I tell myself and others not to watch such movies before bedtime but did it myself. Stupid of me
    because it gave me a nightmare. Thank heaven it was only a dream, and maybe it gave me a
    bad repressed emotion.

Anyway, I woke up and told myself it was just a dream and I was going to have a great day.
    I'll just practice mindfulness and let go of the dream.

Back to eMotion, I really believe its messages.

North Star likes this.
  12. North Star

That interview with Lyons is just super!

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm glad you watched it. He survived a tragedy diving with Steve Irvin.

14. Forest

So the problem with having a million intense projects going at the same time (as I usually do) is that each project can go EXTREMELY SLOWLY... As a result, it may take a while for me to write something official up about the movie.

I couldn't help watching the video because it's very well done and is fun to watch, but I haven't had time to think about it or write something up. With the Steve Ozanich event coming up Tuesday, it unfortunately might take until Wednesday or Thursday for that. Then again, it might not, as working on the video is fun and I tend to gravitate towards things I enjoy. If anyone can't wait, there is always the $6 instant-watch rental of the movie. I don't think that you'd regret watching it.

Overall, I have profoundly mixed feelings about the movie. There are times when they start talking about different colors of food, using magnets to heal, or other things when I know that the results they have must be entirely based on the placebo response, and I'm turned off. I can't imagine that Dr. Sarno would ever endorse such things, but if people are healing, it's hard to worry about them too much. On the other hand, there are some moments of profound insight. All of the talking heads are gifted, gifted communicators. Each of them has clearly put a lot of effort into learning how to help people and communicate things simply. Those years of thinking and observation really matter, and there were parts of the movie that I really loved. Overall, if the movie brings more people to learn about the mindbody approach, that is a terrific thing.

By the way, just because I'm skeptical of these things doesn't mean that others have to be skeptical as well. This forum is sponsored by an independent nonprofit that takes very seriously the values of freedom of expression and respectful dialogue. Plus, when there are a variety of opinions, the overall discussion is far more interesting.

Finally - and this is a big one - I found out that the producer posted the full first 25 minutes of the video for free on YouTube. Here it is:

Ellen and North Star like this.
  15. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Forest, for posting the free preview. I just finished watching it and read the information on the movie website. My impression based on just watching the 25 min preview and reading the information is that they have the underlying theory correct and articulate it well. However, once you state that disease/pain is caused by trapped emotions in the unconscious, then the question is how do you release it. I'm skeptical of the strategies they outline, but want to keep an open mind. I was skeptical at first that chronic pain could be relieved simply by reading a book, but I now know that is possible.

I do have to say that I have a hard time taking seriously anything said by a grown man dressed up as a cowboy :D I would definitely edit him out of the movie.

16. North Star

Haha, I'm with you on the cowboy thing, Ellen. I live in Montana…have lived in the heart of agriculture and the so-called cowboys here wear Cargill or Agrifeed or Cat caps, blue jeans and shirts.

The first time I started to read Dr. Sarno's book, I literally DID throw it across the room. I was furious that he would suggest such quackery. So, like you, I try to silence my inner skeptic and keep an open mind.

Ellen likes this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

My best friend moved to Colorado a few years ago from the ritzy North Shore of Chicago
    and bought a small farm. He wasn't a farmer so he hired someone to work it, but he
    didn't care much for the parties he went to because most of the people talked about manure.

He moved on to San Diego where he played bridge. I guess he didn't care much for cowboys.