1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

EFT and TMS

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by quert, May 31, 2013.

1. KathyBee

KathyBee Peer Supporter

Looking at the websites, it does appear that there is a bit of a rivalry between the original EFT and FasterEFT.
    I think for right now I will go with the original EFT. Part of it is because I am one of those unusual people who learn much better from reading than I do from hearing the information. So when I have two or more choices for learning something, I will go with a source that lets me learn by reading.
    Another factor is that I have already read the stuff on the original EFT site, including the intermediate and advanced things. That means I can start it right away. So that gets a plus over new things I would have to study.
    I think it is easy to get a kind of information paralysis when there is a lot of information out, some contradicting the other, about a course of self help. It takes time to read things and watch videos. Then it takes more time to think about which of the many options are right for you. It becomes a delaying factor for actually doing something. At least it has for me in the past.
    I have started a program of combining tapping with journaling. If I get stressed thinking about journaling, I tap a little bit first. Then after I finish journaling, I tap on the issues that were brought up. I also try to get all the specific, aspects, etc. Because the negative thoughts and feeling are not magically going away for me when I bring them up in journaling, so I have to find a way to let them go.
    Yesterday was the first time on this. I actually came up with some pretty major stuff when I journaled. Like I can actual understand how physical pain would be preferable to this. Under the nervous feelings it is not just merely a little fear but a primal terror.
    The tapping helped a couple of the issues go away. A couple of the issues still need work, I think because there are lots of things contributing to them.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

(KathyBee) I have started a program of combining tapping with journaling. If I get stressed thinking about journaling, I tap a little bit first. Then after I finish journaling, I tap on the issues that were brought up. I also try to get all the specific, aspects, etc. Because the negative thoughts and feeling are not magically going away for me when I bring them up in journaling, so I have to find a way to let them go.

(Walt) This sounds great. I hope others will try it.

I forgot about tapping for a while but when I get up-tight about something or a headache, it seems to help. Same with journaling.
    I'll try combining the two.

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks for the recommendation of Rue Hass, Plum. I like her views on teens and young people having worked with this age group professionally over the last decade.

I had a look at Robert Smith's videos a while back. In fact I signed up for the free intro course and received a link to a video over consecutive days. There was one particular video that stood out for me. It was one where he talks about our negative memories and how when we replay them in our minds over and over, we are actually the memory's producer, director and we play all of the 'characters' in the memory. He explains it so much better. It really resonated with me.

I would like to learn the original eft process first. I had a go at faster eft but apart from stopping me from ruminating about something, I didn't achieve any major breakthroughs or lasting results. Perhaps due to my own specific learning style some 'lessons' with a practitioner is the best way to go for me.

plum and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

I am enjoying the humor/honesty of Brad Yates eft. No major results but I do enjoy it.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess if you are enjoying it, mousemom, this is a positive result in and of itself. I am really starting to see how much enjoyment, laughter and fun play a part in our journey towards healing.

NolaGal and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I really do find that laughing helps.
    If I don't laugh at all the new stress my boss puts on me, I'd go bonkers.
    Almost every day he calls with a new project for me to work on with him.
    Any one of them would be more work than 50 people could do.
    I'm through jumping through his hoop.

7. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

!
    Hi Walt, Thank you for the info. I just learned how to tap from Gary Graig and it feels good. I did try to find out about the fast tapping technique from Robert Smith but the videos never open. Gary Graigs tapping is pretty fast, so I don't think there is much difference. I am having a bit of a hard time with my computer because after paying for a tune-up my son played with it (without my permission) and now it is slow and on top of it I am angry at him every time I think about it! I will try to use tapping to not get angrier!
    Leonor.

8. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I am happy to see this discussion. I have been using tapping on and off for about a year now. I began using it after reading Dr. James Alexander's book. I have had some good results with it. For some reason, it seems to work best when I am in the swimming pool. Maybe because that is when I am really relaxed. I also use it at times before bed. I have been doing much better in the past year, but recently had a recurrence of some buttock and leg muscle pain that I have not had in almost a year. I think this was related to the replay of some childhood events. It worked quite well and the pain has reduced to discomfort. Thank-you all for reminding me to use it for bad emotions arising from childhood memories. I will try to remember ti use it the next time that comes up. I also use somatic experiencing, but that is much more complicated.

9. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, here we have my very own words coming back to haunt me, LOL. I did meet up with an EFT practitioner a couple of times last summer but when I allowed my TMS symptoms to take over my life, I became incapacitated and unable to drive. As I wrote the above last August I was already back on the road to recovery. I still haven't returned to the EFT practitioner yet for various reasons. I did, however, take a slight detour and signed up for a mindfulness course which was absolutely brilliant. Some time this year, finances permitting, I would like to attend an EFT workshop so watch this space for further updates. I am a slow burner but I get there in the end.

In the meantime I have been receiving email notifications of blog posts on various topics regarding EFT. The one I received today was extremely timely and relevant. The blog post and embedded video touch on so many issues like affirmations, Law of Attraction, forgiveness and so much more. Many of you are familiar with Louise Hay and have read her books. I haven't yet read anything by her and hadn't until today seen her in action. I just love her affirmation style at the end of her session with Nick Ortner in the video. Take a gander for yourselves.

http://tamaradonn.wordpress.com/201...-with-affirmations-and-the-law-of-attraction/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

interesting podcast on tapping. a woman who I trust and confided in about depression runs a website in Ireland.
    http://www.depressionhurtsireland.com/

she is a very astute individual and suggested EFT to me. I tried it and didn't get much relief but definitely found that it can uncover old memories and situations you thought you had forgotten about.

this is before I came across TMS. when reading Healing back pain I made the connection instantly and thought Sarno had better explained the connection with a physiological rationale.
    This lady, Rue Hass goes into the EFT and Sarno connection > there is definitely some benefit from combining the two
    http://tappingqanda.com/2011/02/pod-53-fibromyalgia-w-rue-hass/