1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

God granted me the wisdom,

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by andy64tms, Feb 22, 2018.

1. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

As a seasoned TMSer, God granted me the wisdom to decide on a real physical emergency the opposite of a TMS attack. My wife had a stroke Sunday night. She called me down stairs with a shrilled voice, as she propped against the counter top she explained her left side was unusable, her face was crooked. I remember the struggle just moving her to the couch; she was a total dead weight. She complained when I dialed 911 and continued to complain as the paramedics arrived. I ignored her and said: “I’m in charge”. By this time her symptoms had died down. The house was full of paramedics, firemen and a gurney appeared seemingly from nowhere.

“You seem OK, but we are going to take you in as a precaution to Los Robles Hospital”. The paramedic said. In a blink the house was empty and I felt really lonely. On the way to the hospital she had a TIA attack, the sirens went on and it was code red from then on.

Sunday night was a blur, I came home for some reason, and I didn’t sleep. I asked myself: “Why did I not stay at the hospital, it may be the last time I see my wife”. I had the deepest fear and shock; my neck went solid as I affirmed: Stress at code red.

Two days of TIA attacks(mini strokes), long distant phone calls in front of concerned family and friends, doctors, nurses, needles, MRI’s and scans. Many of you know and can reflect on this scene.

Wednesday arrived she suddenly made an amazing recovery going 15, 20, 36 hours without an attack, even the nurses and ICU staff are surprised. Credit to the Parma company that made this miracle three hour window drug, it wasn’t available for her mother, aunt and grandmother who also died from strokes. The words “thanks” and “gratitude” come to mind for I have a chance of another day with her.

A party atmosphere seemed to evolve in her room. There was laughter and smiles as she became the favorite patient on the ICU ward. My wonderful daughter in law who works in the hospital brought all her friends by to see her. In our TMS cynical world we don’t often give credit to the caring nurses and doctors who really mean well and do well, despite the daily failures they have to endure. My wife became the poster patient for success, the very reason why they work in this field.

She left the ICU this evening to another room as the ICU is top dollar floor space in a hospital (cynicisms- Yes). We hope for her to come home tomorrow. She has to contend with fear and is nervous and has lots of questions when the doctor discharges her tomorrow. Her prospects are very good; she has virtually 100 % recovery and will have to take blood thinners forever.

Serious Observation:

Cholesterol and Genetics statistically point to my wife’s circumstance. Despite our aversion to drugs she only takes one and that was for cholesterol. Cholesterol is a life style choice food and exercise. Genetics are not a choice, period.

Humorous Observation:

Why was a greasy sausage served for breakfast in a hospital? I have to comment I have been habitually conditioned to say: ‘It was very tasty”, since the last one I had was six months ago.

JanAtheCPA, EileenS, Forest and 5 others like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sending you and your wife much love. Be sure to look after yourself too my dear.

Many healing blessings x

Forest and andy64tms like this.
  3. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Bravo from a retired ICU RN. It is great to watch a miracle in progress.

Forest and andy64tms like this.
  4. andy64tms

Not only are care givers "real people too". They are "extra special people too", for to care of someone else is love.
    Thank you both, I am off to the hospital to bring her home.

JanAtheCPA, plum and Click#7 like this.
  5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful that you were able to act quickly and get her (what I assume was) TPA, I also have a lot of patients who were fortunate enough to be given it in the window and made great recoveries. Thoughts are with you.

andy64tms and plum like this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Nothing beats coming home. Here's to her continued recovery and to many more years of marriage for you both.

andy64tms likes this.
  7. andy64tms

Thanks Mindbody, Plum I'm in Caregiving Mode and loving it,

Forest likes this.
  8. colls100

colls100 Well known member

Thank God, the universe, your instincts, and everyone or thing else worth thanking for this outcome !

andy64tms likes this.
  9. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Yes, thanks are in order for that wisdom leading to action. I know of several people helped by that wonder drug when it is given in time. Please know that many here will be thinking of you and your wife and are grateful for her recovery.

andy64tms likes this.
  10. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

She left the ICU this evening to another room as the ICU is top dollar floor space in a hospital (cynicisms- Yes). We hope for her to come home tomorrow. She has to contend with fear and is nervous and has lots of questions when the doctor discharges her tomorrow. Her prospects are very good; she has virtually 100 % recovery and will have to take blood thinners forever.

Serious Observation:

Cholesterol and Genetics statistically point to my wife’s circumstance. Despite our aversion to drugs she only takes one and that was for cholesterol. Cholesterol is a life style choice food and exercise. Genetics are not a choice, period.

Hi Andy
    So glad she was able to get the meds that work so well on many stroke patients . . .if given in time. My sister had a stroke a couple of years ago and was also fortunate that she made it to the hospital for treatment in time. She is on blood thinner as well, and, at age 92, is doing very well. No cognitive issues or physical ones either.
    I wish you both the best of health in your future years.
    Good to have you around in a crisis I'd say.
    Lainey

andy64tms likes this.
  11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing your story, Andy. I'm so glad for the positive outcome.

andy64tms likes this.
  12. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Andy,
    So thankful to you for your wife's story. Gratitude is an healing emotion. So many opportunities for thanks here. Cinicism is destructive, even when realistic. It needs countered with positives, and your actions and those who helped along the way made the difference between a tragedy and a joyful homecoming. My heart feels good this morning.
    Lizzy

andy64tms and plum like this.
  13. andy64tms

Thank you all for all your kind thoughts and comments

Mindbody- It was TPA, I believe, she got this wonder drug within one hour. The doctors said after three hours it becomes ineffective. What a miracle, how sad for those who don’t get it in time.

I know I will take care of myself later and know how, but right now it’s not about me, this will all pass and become a distant memory. I am still learning to be a caregiver and what to do, care giving is a moving target, I am dealing with the for-casted depression and tears presently. Her sensitivity and self worth with her new “survived self” is being portrayed, quite understandably. It’s not often we go there as she is well grounded, but she feels very venerable when shocked with this near death. I have seen Sheila through two knee replacement surgeries. The first I made some mistakes the second I aced, this is learning as we go for me.

Click- ICU nurses are exceptional and highly qualified, I saw firsthand the caring and love in process and try to mimic this. No other industry puts so much responsibility on someone’s shoulders. They also have to bear the feelings of failure when someone dies. Thank you for the years of work you put in, enjoy your retirement.

Lizzy- Coming from UK, cynicism was often used as humor, using it isn’t always bad and is often viewed as a form of communication. I remember a BBC program called: ‘‘Cynics Choice”, where pontificating participants discussed current affairs. I have seen it used to express a serious subject humorously where it would otherwise be left unsaid or used to respond when you have been insulted, (I know we shouldn’t respond). It is a very bitter word I agree!

Lainey- Sheila is on 325Mg asprin per day. Can you believe this was the very first drug that ever passed my ears at the age of six? I remember having what I now know was anxiety and asked for an asprin. Remarkable, at the age of six I knew about drugs, 64 long years ago!

Thanks all again, we are home and happiness will follow.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Ewok2 and Lizzy like this.
  14. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Hi Andy,
    I am so glad to hear your wife is doing well. I pray that you and your wife will be enjoying your trip in April and looking at this as a bad dream.

About the sausage: Many years ago when my in-laws were young and in their early 80's, my mother-in-law started refusing to let my father-in-law have one of his favourite foods which was sausages because she had read they contributed to dementia. As we watched him enjoying a sausage at a bbq he said, "This tastes so good. If only I could remember what it is called." (Although he is now 93 and his memory is rusty, he still has no dementia.)

15. andy64tms

Eileen, Thank you, our trip is our biggest concern right now. We did take out Insurance, but its only 7 weeks away and we do not want to cancel. we have not got the flights booked yet, so we are in good shape financially. I have even suggested postponing the trip so that her sister from UK can join us she is visiting in July, screw the cost. We will see.

I wonder if forgetfulness is a form of repression, as we don't need to know about stuff as we get older, the only thing important is the taste. :)

16. andy64tms

It’s always worried me not knowing what to do in an emergency. More so since my wife was a school health clerk with knowledge of CPR and child care. I was very fortunate this time to have attended an open day at Los Robles Hospital for cardiovascular heart education. My daughter in law works at the hospital, and we got hors d'oeuvres and listened to speeches and viewed the latest heart saving devices and equipment.

One of the main things I remember was the focus on speedy response time touted by the proud staff and presenters, time was of the essence. We also came away with tote bags portraying the hospital logo. Every time I saw this logo and used the bag, I realize I must have mentally referred the “message of the day”, because I can honestly say up to this point in time I had no interest in hearts and strokes. So a little piece of interest while I chewed hors d’oeuvres saved my wife’s life. :)

Face / Arms / Speech / Time

STROKE:

upload_2018-2-23_17-26-56.gif

FACE: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

upload_2018-2-23_17-26-57.jpg

upload_2018-2-23_17-26-57.gif

ARMS: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?

SPEECH: Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is their speech slurred or strange?

TIME: If you observe any of these signs, call 9-1-1 immediately.

EileenS, plum, Lainey and 2 others like this.
  17. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Whew, Andy. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way. And thank you for sharing with those who care about you.

~Jan

andy64tms likes this.
  18. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Andy
    Thanks for sharing your angst, your love, your hope and your most intimate feelings. My heart goes out to you and my healing thoughts are sent to both your dear Sheila and you. Seven weeks may do the trick and your trip may still be a go. In any event, whatever you both decide will be best for you.
    Kindly
    Lainey

plum, JanAtheCPA and andy64tms like this.
  19. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I really appreciate this piece of information. My mum had a mild stroke around 18 months and given she lost her father to one, the possibility of another remains in the background. God forbid I ever need to know about this medication but if I do, thanks both for mentioning it.

Amongst the most undervalued professionals, all nurses are angels and are the best people I ever deal with in my caring roles. Not only do they tend so beautifully to our ill people, they are able to soften and translate the doctors input.

We Brits do tend towards a dry sense of humour. I think of it as more salty bordering on the twisted at times but it is not intended to be offensive. It also manifests in the way we banter; the more mocking, generally speaking, the more affection exists. Cynicism in this context is used humourously to deflate tension or make a point in jest.

Andy, do you remember 'Spitting Image'?

andy64tms likes this.
  20. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Interesting comments about cynicism. Although my family of origin was not British or really even close, the household banter often had bits of cynicism thrown in to the mix. I think I learned early on how to interpret these types of messages and so I rarely (if ever) take offense. I distinguish between cynicism and sarcasm however. I see sarcasm as a meaner manner of speech and thus more potentially 'destructive' Maybe some people do not have this distinction and view all cynicism as being harmful.
    Having many Brit friends I must 'keep a stiff upper lip' (in a manner of speaking).
    Lainey

andy64tms likes this.