1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

HUMAN VS. NATURE VIDEO ON GENETICS AND TMS

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Mar 16, 2014.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

HUMAN VS. NATURE VIDEO ABOUT GENETICS AND TMS

This video holds lectures by four TMS doctors-practitioners who say that
    genetics rarely if ever play a role in pain, sickness, violence, or addiction.

Dr. Gabor Mate, physician and author, says that although it is popular among
    doctors and psychiatrists to blame illness and behavioral problems on genetics,

“That is a cop-out.” What cannot be ignored are social, economic, political,
    and personal and personality factors.

Mate says addiction also is not genetically-inherited. He includes the many
    non-drug and non-alcoholic types of addiction such as smoking, workaholism,
    shopping, surfing the Internet, video game playing, acquiring more and more
    money or power.

“Nothing is addictive, not even drugs,” says Mate. “Dependence on drugs is
    caused by behavioral problems, from life experiences that shape the personality
    and psychological needs.”

Drug and alcohol dependence come from TMS repressed emotions.

Others on the video who reinforce Dr. Mate’s convictions against genetics causing
    health problems are Robert Sapolsky, professor of neurological sciences at Stanford University; James Galligan, former director of the Harvard Medical School; and
    Robert Wilkinson, professor emeritus of social epidemiology at the University of
    Nottingham. They talk about genetics not being the cause of disease, behavior,
    violence, and drug and alcohol addiction.

My personal experiences lead me to the same conclusion. I could have genetically
    inherited my father’s alcoholism and gambling addictions and my mother’s frequent
    migraine headaches, but did not have any of those health problems. I saw the bad
    effects of drinking and gambling and became a moderate social drinker and stayed
    away from gambling. Those paternal addictions and my parents’ divorce when I was
    nine had led to my mother having the migraine headaches which I never have had.

A massage therapist often told me my anxieties were genetically inherited.
    He was wrong. They were from TMS repressed emotions of feelings of anger.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
    LindaRK likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, everything points to nuture, environment and personality traits as the prime determinants behind all kinds of addictive human behavior, whether it's drugs, alcoholism or programmed pain symptoms. The biggest choice then is whether or not to reprogram the behavior patterns that are running on auto-pilot in your unconscious mind, the ones that came into existence when you were real little and weren't really in charge of the show. That takes some real hard brain work, self-awareness and deep thinking. Not many pe0ple in the midst of an intense personal crisis are capable of standing far enough away from their situation to do that without some third party mentoring or direct intervention I fear. That's not to say it can't be done though.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    LindaRK likes this.
  3. Becca

Becca Well known member

This is such an important point, Bruce. And with addictive behavior in particular, third party mentoring and direct intervention are fruitless endeavors if the person in question is not fully willing or ready to change their behaviors and the patterns that fuel them.

Here's the thing: when the behavior changes, the past still exists, and that can easily produce a great deal of guilt. It's tricky to figure out how to learn from the past, how to move forward, without dwelling on those past behaviors and the impact it had on your life and on others. I find myself getting angry with myself for not getting that perspective to help me change my behavior sooner because of the impact it had on my life and on those who cared about me. I suppose what I'm saying is the journey doesn't stop when the behavior changes. The past is still there, and it can be hard to reconcile with it. I suppose this is why twelve-step programs like AA have a step specifically for making amends.

Oh, also: I believe the Human Nature talk video was part of the feature-length documentary Zeitgeist: Moving Forward. For anyone who's interested, the full documentary is available for free on YouTube:

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, as Becca, as Bruce Lipton is quick to point out, it's a terribly hard job changing those unconscious behaviors because the unconscious mind's central processing unit is a hundred times more powerful than the one that runs your conscious mind. You can keep shouting all day at the tape recorder in your unconscious to quiet down but until you go deep and change the information on the tape that it's been playing, often since childhood, your conscious efforts aren't going to get you very far beyond good intentions, positive thinking, and yelling at the tape recorder. I think that's where good old depth psychology can play a positive role in TMS recovery. The Power Therapies (EFT, EMDR and programmed dreams) and IFS (Internal Family Systems) can also go deep and change those often obsolete and counterproductive unconscious thought and behavior patterns.