1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides "I have a lot of stress. Is is 'safe' for me to start a program?"

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Forest, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

On behalf of the PPD/TMS Peer Network's Q&A with an Expert program, Peer Network member Enrique forwarded the following question to Dr. Peter Zafirides.

Dr. Zafirides response is as follows:

Dr. Zafirides is President of Central Ohio Behavioral Medicine, Inc. (COBMI), Clinical Assistant Professor at Ohio State University’s Department of Psychiatry, and Staff Psychiatrist at Southeast, Inc. His area of interest within psychiatry is the mind-body role of emotions in physical illness - specifically chronic pain. He has been published in this area of psychiatry, lecturing both nationally and internationally on this topic. Dr. Zafirides has received Best Doctors In America recognition for 7 consecutive years since 2005. He has also been recognized nationally with the Patients' Choice Award in 2008, 2010 and 2011 as well as the Compassionate Doctor Award in 2010. His website is http://www.thehealthymind.com/

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think with anyone in pain the question of safety if a major concern. I remember when I first started out and thinking How safe is this approach. I don't even think I really had a lot of apparent anxiety going on at the time. I was just so ingrained to think I had a debilitating physical problem that I feared this treatment would be a little dangerous. I think a lot of this idea of Is this safe is rooted in our believe that we have a physical problem and have not fully accepted the diagnosis yet.

The TMS approach is designed to help us better understand and express our anxiety and fear. We shouldn't be afraid to explore these emotions, and i think part of the hesitation people have in doing this is rooted in the same reason why we have symptoms. We are simply afraid of these emotions and are afraid to really deal with our anxiety. I do think, for some people, going through the program under the supervision of a therapist is a good idea, but, as Dr. Zafirides mentioned, it is not required.

With this approach we have a great power to take control of our treatment and really heal ourselves. It starts by confronting and addressing our repressed emotions and anxiety that we have, and understanding that there is nothing wrong with these emotions. Having these emotions, even though they may be very powerful, will not be dangerous to us, but if any one begins to feel overwhelmed by what comes up during their treatment and through journaling then seeing a therapist will probably be a good idea.