1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Interstitielle Cystitis always TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Franka, Mar 8, 2022.

1. Franka

Franka New Member

Hey,
    I'm new here and from Germany.
    Since 2018 I'm suffering from bladder pain, particularly after going to toilet and while/after sex. My urologist didn't find bacteria and the cystoscopy didn't show something particularly unusual except a red area. I was diagnosted with Interstitielle Cystitis.
    The last 3 months I had often UTI's additionally and since one month also a heaviness sensation in my pelvic area.

My questions:
    Is IC always TMS or are there cases where the deeper bladder areas are really inflammed? Sometimes it's my feeling that's the case in my case because it really hurts while/after pressing with my fingers inside against my bladder.
    I started reading "Unlearn your pain" and my caracter is fitting to the "TMS-caracter" and I had much stress the last years.
    So I'm really unsure if it is TMS or not in my case.
    I would be very grateful for answers or to find sb who has/had similar symptoms.
    Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english.
    Have a nice day!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. I had this and it's definitely TMS. IC is a nonsense label.

3. snobu

snobu Newcomer

Hi Franka & Miffybunny,
    I came back onto the TMS after some time finding out about TMS and am still on my pelvic journey. I got a UTI in 2019 and since then have chronic IC symptoms -- most notably urinary urgency, pelvic pain, burning, etc... I have taken long term antibiotics, went through various medical doctors, and have worked on TMS process for about 2 years now (including Unlearn your pain and multiple other books and techniques). I am still dealing with these symptoms, even though I am trying to stay on course with reducing fear and reducing pressure on myself. I think fear is still the big culprit as these symptoms are so strong and with me most of the day and it is really challenging not to react or feel disraught as it can have a huge impact on your daily activities.
    I know miffybunny had success with IC and I know that there are success stories out there, which is giving me hope. Any suggestions on how to work with these symptoms and reduce the fear (i've been working psychologically, somatic tracking, meditations) and to find the confidence in the TMS diagnosis.
    Anything is appreciated!
    Franka, I am sorry that you are dealing with these symptoms, and if you ever need anyone to talk to -- I'm here!

Fan likes this.