1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Interview about the Great Pain Deception

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Forest, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I just listened to the recording of Steve Ozanich being interviewed on the Janette Barber radio show. It covered a whole bunch of TMS-related stuff like how to recover and what Steve did to get out of pain. I thought this was a great discussion between two people who have recovered from TMS and know how to get better. Check it out

Misha and Livvygurl like this.
  2. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

Very good interview! It was great to hear to hear Steve talk about his book. Janette was really supportive about the book as well as promoting TMS literature in general!!!

3. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

Thanks for posting this. Just listened to it and thought it was very informative. Off to order the book.

Susan

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting what Steve Ozanich has to say in this interview about how symbolic events, like certain birthdays, can trigger a TMS pain episode. What Dr. Sarno says about the id being intolerant of its own mortality resonates throughout this discussion where Steve talks about a guy turning 70 and having such unbearable pain that he had to be taken to the hospital. I did notice myself that when I turned 60 was also when I had a TMS pain relapse after taking a fall on my left hip after tripping over a root while out running. Oddly enough, although I didn't think of it then, this was also when I had started a manic bout of exercising, riding hills on my road bike and running 8 miles a day while frantically trying to self-publish a new edition of my climber's guide. No coincidence I'd say! My 60th B-day obviously had a psycho-symbolic meaning for my psyche that was resulting in a bout of existential anxiety and internalized rage. TMS pain emerged as a way of distracting me from my own sense of mortality.

Something very interesting is that I had always thought that my fall was a pain "trigger" very much like a car impact that causes whip lash. Looking back at the event now five years later I realize that the reason I tripped was probably because I was already developing "drop foot" syndrome so my left foot didn't clear the root on the trail. In other words, my fall was only incidental to the onset of my TMS symptoms, which were already starting up before I tripped and fell on my left butt. My TMS relapse was already in progress before I took my fall. My mind just seized on the fall as a reason for letting my physical symptoms develop. My big mistake was returning to physical therapy which further reinforced the structural diagnosis, thus perpetuating the pain syndrome by making me think something was "wrong with my back".

You can see how the world of the unconscious mind is ruled by dark forces that are more akin to the symbolism of alchemy, numerology and astrology. I guess that's where TMS ties in with Jungian psychology. Watch out for those "bad" birthdays when the id has to face the facts of its own mortality!

5. Michael Reinvented

Michael Reinvented Peer Supporter

Hi Forest,

Thanks for posting this. You rightly observe, the fact that this was a discussion between 2 former TMS sufferers added great weight.

Their collective passion was palpable.