1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

it's my lack of results that's making me doubt

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

@Tennis Tom good to hear as it confirms my thoughts. However, as with everything I'm sure there are better TMS doctors than others.

2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Fair enough TT...I'm well aware that my posting opinion may well come from my highly suspicious and negative mindset. ;)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a wonderful exchange of posts about the frustration in not healing from pain after practicing TMS techniques and reading Sarno. I do agree wth Tom that maybe you should see a doctor who believes in TMS. I haven''t been to one, but they are mentioned in the forums. But it seems to me you just have to convince yourself that as Sarno says, x-rays and MRIs may indicate structural problems but they don't always cause pain, and that some repressed emotions are causing the pain. You've worked on that theory a long time but there may still be something emotional causing the pain. Journaling is still maybe the best way to discover that. Maybe it's also the impatience to heal, and the subconscious sending you doubt about recovering. The subconscious, like the Lord, works in mysterious ways. I urge you to keep on believing in TMS. The alternative, giving up, is not the way to go.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Don't waste your time or money on a tms dr ....if the medical machine can't find anything wrong with you....then you know it's a mind body issue. I went and found no comfort in his diagnosis if anything it put a bad taste in the whole tms concept.

5. Boston Redsox

What

What makes a good tms dr ? And are they really needed ....all they are doing are confirming the test results that where already confirmed by your dr?

6. Susan1111

My Dr didn't help me by confirming the results of my cervical X-ray as he tended to believe my pain was from Arthritis and the PT he sent me to said I had a pinched nerve. Dr Rauchbaum said no TMS is your pain and muscle spasms.

If I believed my Dr and X-ray I wouldn't have the improvement I have. Dr R said forget about the Arthritis! So I have.

7. Boston Redsox

We'll Susan

I stand corrected in your case .... U are the few and far between I terrible exp. I live in boston the medical capital of the world and there is only 3-4 tms dr and one that is a real MD.

Why is that ?

8. Susan1111

It's a shame you had a terrible experience. Hopefully you're on the right path now. It's a hard journey

9. Boston Redsox

I am on a path ..... Right is still to be determined

10. Susan1111

You are a fighter. You will win!! Not so sure about the Redsox!!

11. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I go back and forth on this, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to check in with a TMS doctor. I know I can't rely on reassurance regarding TMS that comes from outside myself indefinitely, but I think I could really use some now.

12. Susan1111

@eskimo if you have or know of a TMS Dr with a good reputation see that person. Why put undo pressure on yourself? Be your own best friend and do what will help you in feeling better. Wouldn't you adviseva friend to see the Dr if they were struggling? Personally I'm glad there are TMS doctors!

eskimoeskimo and Tennis Tom like this.
  13. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

B.R., You've mentioned your bad experience with your TMS physician several times, could you please elaborate on the experience.

* How much time did he spend with you?
    * How much did it cost? Did he take insurance, or did you have to pay cash?
    * How long did the exam portion take? Did he palpate the TMS "TENDER SPOTS"?
    * How long did he spend talking to you about your past, present and concerns about the future?
    * Did he view your imaging and radiological reports?
    * Did he give you a TMS diagnosis?
    * Did he give you the diagnosis you were hoping for?
    * What were his recommendations for you to do after seeing him?

Sorry for all the questions and don't mean for it to sound like a cross-examination, but it would be helpful to me and I'm sure others to understand what your exam entailed and the cause for your dissatisfaction with the experience.

Thanks,
    tt

14. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Hi, thought I would chime in and let you know that I had a great experience with Dr. Schubiner (out of Detroit). He spent two hours with me and has been very responsive via email in the intervening years. The initial appointment was expensive (in the range of $350, I believe, considering I was coming from Canada and did not have private insurance) but worth every penny. I am confident his services would be covered under most (American) insurance plans (fully registered through American College of Physicians, etc.). He looked at all the medical records I brought him (including x-rays, MRIs, etc.) but did not spend long on that. He focused much more on my personality and the links between stressful life events and pain.

Susan1111 likes this.
  15. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

"Medical machine" will very often find something "wrong" with our body and wrongly blame it for our pain. They would find herniated disc and blame your back pain on it, but we as tmser's all know herniated disc does not cause back pain. They blame glutten for our stomach trouble, they blame chemical imbalance for our depression, they blame high uric acid for gout, they blame our leg length or our shoes for our feet pain..... on and on and on...
    If your symptoms are truly tms/mind body then going to a conventional doctor may cause you lots of money and wasted time because they may give you the wrong diagnosis and treatment.
    tms doctors and well train conventional doctors that happen to also well trained in mind body disease. I don't see how going to one is a waste of time and money versus going to a conventional doctor.

16. Hopeful_Alexandra

Hopeful_Alexandra New Member

Dr. Schubiner is a TMS doc, just in case that was confusing.

17. Boston Redsox

No problem TT

1. 1hr ish
    2.$250
    3.15 min and no he just check reflexes
    4. No imaging done my pcp said I did not need any just had my neurologist reports and EMG test did not really look at it
    5.yes
    6. He told me to reread sarno HBP and forgive my wife and myself for her cheating on me and to follow up in a month.
    I am just angry that I have not made any progress in 14 months but I also did not except tms fully until I got off all my meds . So it's only been. 2 months of full belief

18. Susan1111

Boston what confuuses me about your situation is if I may ask what did the neurologist say and if this TMS Dr didn't examine your reports what was he basing his Diagnosis on? A cheating wife hence anger and TMS?

19. Boston Redsox

I gu
    I guess I was not sure walking out of there that's why I have a bad taste in my mouth with the whole process

20. Susan1111

I would too.