1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Job Fear & Outcome Independence

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by epitomeofhealth, Aug 22, 2016.

1. epitomeofhealth

epitomeofhealth New Member

I'm struggling with a decision, and I'd love insight from you all.

Backstory: I came down with CFS (extreme fatigue) symptoms in March, and I ultimately had to quit working and move in with my parents in June, as I could barely get around the house. Now, almost 3 months later, I'm feeling about ~75% better -- my GI symptoms are gone, and while the dizziness and fatigue are still there, I can live a relatively normal life now.

I'm set on returning to New York City, so I've started the job hunt there. I've always wanted to go into teaching, and I have interviews set up for teaching jobs in charter schools, which for the past few years has been what I've been dying to do. But now, I'm starting to second-guess myself. Teachers--especially in low-income charter schools--have an incredibly high burnout rate. And seeing as I'm convinced mental burnout/perfectionism/pushing myself too hard/goodism/etc. is what got me into this mess, I'm kind of scared this job would do the same thing. I hate making decisions out of fear, but I also really am scared that I'll just fall apart under intense stress, working the 11-hour days that most first-year teachers work.

Anyone have any thoughts to share? I'm torn between the "outcome independence" of taking the job anyway and not giving the chronic fatigue any credence, vs. the "taking care of yourself" and "saying 'no' to intense stress".

Thanks so much.

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. I'd give charter school teaching a chance. If you start to feel it's too much, ease up, or leave. Working ll-hour days would be hard on anyone.

Try to modify your perfectionism. I work for a perfectionist book publisher and had to learn not to expect of myself what he expects of me. He's far from perfect himself! The same with "goodism." Try to modify it.

Can you talk to some charter school teachers and learn how they are handling the work?

AMarie likes this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

You have to try or you might regret it. One step at a time. The worst that can happen is you quit and move back to your parents but at least you tried. The best that can happen is your CFS can suck it and you have a wonderful teaching career while feeling fulfilled and happy. : )

AMarie likes this.
  4. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

That's a tough call. I would suggest being more hesitant. I moved to NYC with TMS symptoms and I have expanded my world view and have taken many opportunities presented to me, but the symptoms have not alleviated. Sometimes I wonder if my TMS knowledge only enables me to do MORE THINGS with the same old symptoms. That's not the point, is it? Inner peace is the point...I believe. So go into it knowing it's a toss-up. If you could do more personal work living with your parents (i.e. Therapy, journaling, etc), then stay. But by no means let your symptoms stop you from doing what you want to do.

Balsa11 likes this.