1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

JOURNALING QUESTIONS ANSWERED!

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Nicole J. Sachs LCSW, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

Nicole J. Sachs LCSW Therapist and TMS Author

Thank you guys for your amazing and insightful questions I receive every day at thecureforchronicpain@gmail.com. Keep 'em coming!

Here's my latest video answering two often-asked journaling questions. XO

Programming note: I can't write back every time people ask things directly on this site, as my life is a hectic montage of kids and work. And unfortunately I am no longer taking new patients.

HOWEVER... I am in the process of creating an online course with a very talented technical team which I hope to launch in the next month or two. I'll be sure to let you know as soon as it's available.

Much love to each of you.. n.

Piano Mom, MWsunin12 and donavanf like this.
  2. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

What do you say to someone who has journaled vigorously for months on end and made no progress ?

3. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

Hey eskimo.

I would say that it is too long to go without results, and I would encourage you to seek out a TMS therapist with whom to share the dialogue.

With much love, n.

4. eskimoeskimo

I have done that. But thank you for your response. - Eskimo

5. Ben117

Ben117 New Member

Hey Eskimo,

Recently saw a post on here that I thought might be useful to you. Despite searching I can't seem to find it. But the general idea was that for some people journaling is useless. There's no great emotional upheaval they need to uncover, or if there is, it's not necessarily the cause of their pain. Also, the pressure you place on yourself to journal and the expectation that it's going to get rid of the pain is potentially unhelpful.

For these people, the cause of their pain is likely to be their general everyday thought processes. For example, thinking negatively and being anxious, stressed in everyday life can contribute to pain just as much as repressed emotions. For the person who posted this, they had been journaling for years and getting themselves out of these negative everyday thought processes was the last 'piece of the puzzle' as it were.

Hope that was helpful - if I find the post I was talking about I'll post it on here.

Ben

Mari and Bhamgirl like this.
  6. eskimoeskimo

Thank you Ben. Please let me know if you find that post again. I try to go after this thing from so many different angles. Something's still not clicking. I'm trying the journaling again because Nicole Sachs is so adamant that this is central. It's never done anything for me, and I've always been skeptical regarding the repressed emotions part of TMS, but I'm going to stick with this 1 month trial of consistent journaling just in case.

7. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

Hey guys. Here's the thing: you must approach yourself with patience and kindness. There is no line in the sand about what constitutes healing. The reasoning that journaling works for many is that it is a consistent way to give your pain a voice and allow it calm down. But if the process itself becomes a source of shame, then i would take a break and share this whole dialogue with your therapist. An integral factor in this whole thing is that you are not alone. Feeling alone leads us to panic and worry that our self-will cannot save us. Try as best you can to be kind to yourself, and to invite others into your journey. XO, n.

donavanf and eskimoeskimo like this.
  8. dree

dree New Member

id love to know about the online course... keep us posted. cheers

9. Nicole J. Sachs LCSW

i will post here for sure once it's done. just in the beginning phases so probs in a couple months! XO

10. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

Wonderful! I just wrote you a private email, I hope to hear back. I absolutely adore your work and just finished your INCREDIBLE book. Thank you for existing! This video is great! :)

11. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I agree I am in the same boat with not much results at all