1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Knowledge and fear

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Lostboy, Feb 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Lostboy

Lostboy Peer Supporter

Hey guys.

I think knowledge and fear both compliment each other.. As you have knowledge of something, sometimes it become fear in your mind.. And same you can eleminate fear with knowledge also.

See my example.

1. I read an article 5 year ago about sciatica.. And that leave a fear in my mind, because at that time I had back issues . I do not had the mri or any test.. I don't know what's wrong in my body neither doctor told me about my back pain.. But as I said the article was in my mind. And I develop the neuralpathway in my mind. This may b sciatica. I don't have to run, bend, lift, etc..
    Last year I cured myself by reading doctor Sarno book.. That's also another form of knowledge.. Knowledge can heal and can make you ill also.. It's funny

2. Now past 3 months I had developed another symptoms(creative people lol) . Joint pain symptoms.
    As I lost my sister in November. She had the same symptoms. Or one another person I saw at hospital had the middle finger pain at that time.. And doctor looking for the arthritis. That thing was in my mind. I had the knowledge, that leads fear of having that to.. And now after November firstly I started feeling pain in my one finger, after that pain in joints and hand (without inflammation) unusual pain. No specific area. My blood reports are fine. I realised this happened because of my fear. Fear of having same desease. I developed the symptoms.

What's your thought And your real life experience please let me know.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Lostboy,

Yes!! I agree completely with your assessment, with the dots you have connected about a "suggestion" and the subsequent arrival of symptoms. The imprint you took on from your sister's death makes a lot of sense, in a time of fear and grief. You witnessed symptoms she had, and then you "caught" them.

I am sorry about the death of your sister. It cannot be easy...

I am not sure how you're doing with these symptoms, how much they bother you. The main intervention is to reassure yourself that you're OK, and this is simply TMS expressing itself, and like all TMS, it will go away on its own, with no real effort on your part. It is probably also helpful not to go seeking endless treatments or going to DR Google!

Andy

Lostboy likes this.
  3. Lostboy

Lostboy Peer Supporter

Hey, thanx Andy for the condolences. I will fight these symptoms like I did in my past with leg pain.. Thank you soo much for giving your views..

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are not alone. I literally scared myself into CRPS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_regional_pain_syndrome (Complex regional pain syndrome - Wikipedia) . My treatment? Get rid of fear and build confidence that I can recover. I am now one of the TMS success stories!!!!

Lostboy likes this.
  5. Lostboy

Lostboy Peer Supporter

I'm soo happy for your recovery .. People like you build more confidence in me. From the day I started thinking emotionally.. I'm having panic attacks or anxiety.. Last day was horrible.. I was not alone the whole day . But don't know why I was over thinking again and again.. I'm in 4th day of SEP.. May be that's the reason.. My mind wants to divert my attention from thinking emotionally.

6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You have to be keenly aware that pain and emotions are connected. Rise in anxiety, panic attacks, depression are common extinction bursts. If you accept them as normal reaction of your brain and not dwell on them, you will recover sooner.

Lostboy likes this.