1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S. (New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for book recommendations

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by TG957, Feb 23, 2024.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Someone I know is very intelligent, goodhearted and capable, but has problems with self-awareness and managing emotions. When under stress, he can burst out in anger at random, sometimes over trivial matters when he feels threatened or unable to resolve the situation. He is not likely to seek advice of a therapist (hopefully, in the future?) but is likely to read a book, if presented to him strategically and carefully. So I am asking people for book recommendations, the more the merrier!

Thank you in advance!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Definitely Chatter, the 2021 book by Ethan Kross which I've been recommending, about the inner voice in our heads, looked at from ten different aspects, with recommendations based on each. There is literally something for everyone, and he addresses the many different ways in which our negative inner chatter affects our physical and mental health as well as our personal and professional relationships.

Extensively researched and impeccably referenced, half of the book is the bibliography and footnotes so that the technical details don't get in the way of the narrative. In addition to his own professional research over many years, the author draws on many decades of studies from multiple sources. He's authoritative but writes well and is easy to read. I downloaded the ebook from my public library although there was a long wait time to get it. Then I ended up buying it.

I think it would be a good starter book for someone not ready to jump into the deep end of emotional vulnerability.

TG957 likes this.
  3. Michael Coutts

Michael Coutts Peer Supporter

Above any books I would always be recommending John Sarno's incredible, life transforming books. Healing Back Pain, The Mindbody Prescription, The Divided Mind.

TG957 likes this.
  4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you, Jan! I ordered it from Amazon.