1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Low Back Pain and Sciatica Healed: My TMS Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Mark W, Jun 6, 2015.

1. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Thanks, Mark W. I'd received an email of your recent posting and it brought me back to this site after some busy time away. Good to hear of your continued success. I quoted some of what you had shared as yesterday was Thanksgiving and I was again gently sharing my hopes with my mother that she might re-explore Sarno's material that she so resists. After mentioning that she had been told by her doctor that there was nothing more he could do after a series of steroid injections and that she just had to live with her chronic pain as part of having stenosis/arthritis/old age, I had hoped she might be more open.

Anyhow, I was able to affirm my own recovery and give thanks that I had been chronic pain free during a particularly stressful/emotional past few months when I had needed my body for much lifting, some of it very heavy.

It was strange to see my profile photo on this site again. I had chosen it as it was emblematic of my own TMS healing journey. One of the scariest parts of that journey had been following Dr. Sarno's suggestion that after recovery one needs to return to the activity that had brought on the temporary pain that the mind had made chronic. In my case, it was returning to landscaping with the heavy rocks that we had collected during various vacations. The thought of again experiencing the excruciating back pain that had made a trip to the bathroom from bed a tearful, ten minute crawl was terrifying. Now, the pond in that photo is gone. Our neighbors helped me move all those rocks to their various yards, as well as the plants and sculptures, and it has all been razed to a lot following our house fire. If I have ever needed a healthy back (as well as the other places in my body that TMS later moved to and had to be re-treated years ago: neck/shoulders, elbow, wrist, legs, feet) it has been these past few months. And, too, the psychological/emotional insight gained during TMS recovery to help deal with the ensuing loss/sadness/shame/anger/frustration/despair during a challenging post-house fire/demolition process.

Thank you Dr. Sarno (RIP), and Mark W, and all the folks who share on this site.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Just a quick question...it took you 6 months to get over your pain from a herniated disc...just saying 80-90 % of patients with your diagnosis get better without treatment ? Maybe 10 % see surgeons for a surgical evaluation and then they go from there. I believe you have Tms, but I'd like to see more success stories where folks have suffered with your symptoms for well over a year. Congrats.

3. Mark W

Mark W Peer Supporter

So I'm closing in on five years since my discovery/episode of severe TMS and my subsequent healing.

I still feel great. I don't even get back pain anymore. When I do have a TMS symptom, which isn't often, it is usually short-lived nasal congestion, or a random pain in a random joint that dissipates quickly. I credit meditation and yoga, which keep me tuned into my uncomfortable emotions on a daily basis, so I feel them fully and they can't hide, build up, and be used as fuel for TMS.

I recently started running again after 15 years, and I caught myself having this thought: "My knee always used to hurt when I ran, so I'll have to keep an eye on it in case the pain comes back." Then I realized, "A-ha, the reason doctors could never find anything wrong with my knee and pain meds didn't help was because there never was actually anything wrong with my knee in the first place!" :) Been running every other day for a couple weeks and...no knee pain, of course.

To anyone starting out or working through your TMS: Stick with Dr. Sarno's program, do what he recommends, and you will move past your TMS pain.

For me, the hardest part about TMS is that once I healed, it changed my paradigm about chronic pain completely, so now its difficult to watch friends and family try to treat their TMS pains with drugs, surgery, and expensive doctors. I still tell them my TMS story briefly and point them to some resources, but sadly 95% of them can't even entertain TMS as being a real thing. It sucks, but what can you do?

Best of luck to everyone on their TMS healing journeys!!!

jimmylaw9 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That's awesome to hear, @Mark W, and thank you so much for continuing to check in and post updates. As you well know, doing this is one of the things that makes this community so powerful.

And, to anyone reading this, please go back to page 1 and read Mark's story. You will be inspired, I promise you.

5. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Hi Mark W, I just came here from a link in an email from your 2017 update to see what responses had accrued (am a sporadic visitor), so was surprised and delighted to find your 2019 update. Congrats on your continued success! Glad you are still out sharing your story and advocating Sarno info with others, despite their misgivings and resistance.

As I mentioned in an earlier response in this thread, I share your frustration with the slowness of medical mainstream acceptance of mind-body solutions, despite the mounting evidence of the power of the mind in controlling health. Was just reading an article on the brain scans of patients with Dissociative Identity Disorder, and how one could instantaneously switch to an alter personality that experienced blindness, and all the brain activity in the visual processing area would immediately cease despite the person's eyes being open. Remember being fascinated by case studies of MPI (now DID) in which a patient's physiological condition (blood sugar level, blood pressure, or visual acuity) would change immediately as they entered an alter personality that was diabetic, hypertensive, or myopic. Imagine there were probably some who had alter personalities with chronic back pain.

Sad, as you mentioned, too, the waste of medical resources on TMS related conditions. Remember Senator Harkin, himself having had chronic pain recovery success, lamenting the hundreds of millions of misspent US taxdollars that could be saved using Sarno's treatment.

I'm also having continued success. After dealing with our housefire, I took a job doing professional natural stone masonry that sometimes requires me to lift tons, literally, of flagstone or boulders during the day. On occasion I'll get some temporary soreness or strain (I did turn 60 this year!), but if it lingers, I get right back into that Sarno paradigm and it leaves.

Thanks for your postings, and best wishes.

jimmylaw9 likes this.