1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

MRI Neccasary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Markus, May 13, 2015.

1. Markus

Markus Guest

I am an individual who has suffered with chronic pain for 12 years! I soon after discovering TMS was certain I had it. What I never had though was an MRI. My doctor told me that I had NO physical abnormalities. I've heard both sides of this story.....some say get an mri,others say,don't bother.
    Aside from peace of mind, wouldn't it be just as prudent (after my physician of 5 years has said "No physical abnormalities),to continue the tms work? If anyone has constructive feedback I would like to hear it.
    Thanks
    Mark.

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Just reviewed a full spinal MRI with my Dr the other day. I had demanded this in February of last year as I was frantically trying to find the cause & way to treat my pain.
    turns out there were no major abnormalities. I have a bulging disc and degerneration, schmorls nodes and bone spurs etc. turns out these things are not a major deal.

3. Markus

Markus Guest

I believe what I will do is keep reading, improving,if,it seems to be awhile for pain to dissappear,to a manageable degree,than I will ask for the MRI.
    Mark

4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I had an MRI several years ago on my neck. It revealed several ruptured discs. The doctors recommended surgery but I had surgery 20 years prior for a ruptured disc in my lower back and I had doubts about whether is was truly necessary or not. So I asked the doctors if it was safe to pursue the TMS treatment for six months and they said it was. After a few months, I was no longer considering surgery for my neck. But I do think the MRI results slowed my TMS recovery. At the same time, I would do it again because it felt necessary at the time. At least I knew what I was dealing with.

5. lighthouse15

lighthouse15 New Member

An MRI should be sought to rule out a serious illness.

Im surprised your doctor never ordered it if you were in really bad pain.