1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Multilevel degenerative spondylotic changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patelios, Feb 20, 2023.

Tags:
  1. patelios

patelios New Member

Hi there,

Just got an MRI report back that says I have Multilevel degenerative spondylotic changes in the lumbar spine with ligamentum falvum hypertrophy. The report also says disc dehydration with herniations noted at L4/L5 causing indentation of the thecal sac which is more common.

My back has been throwing me into spasm recently, when playing football. It just shifts to the right and whilst I first experienced this in 2017, it has become more frequent with age.

However in lockdown in 2020, I was very TMS and yoga focused and was fitter than I'd ever been.

I have done some research and it's degeneration but can be linked to Osteoarthritis etc. Personally going to keep staying fit if I can.

But has anyone has this before?

Anyway just wanted to get anyones opinion/advice. I imagine many have seen this before? Just wanted to pick some brains and whether I should just believe this is TMS or is it one of those that should require a different sort of attention.

I'd like to play football again but a week of spasm has thrown me off a bit although am exercising again and yoga, just without the football. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Cheers
    Mihir

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @patelios
    Wow!
    How are you feeling about all of this? Can you take a few breaths and slow down?
    I have been told I have similar MRI findings (not exact, so many words medical Dr’s can use). I want to a Neruo-Surgeon.
    The MRI was done at a facility that also “read” my MRI -just a technician, and they had very scary sounding things to point out. The surgeon however explained things better. “Changes” that are often described as “degenerative” may be normal. We change but it doesn’t always cause chronic pain. They may cause short periods of discomfort that go away if we don’t “tms” over them.
    Studies have shown that most disc issues are not the cause of chronic pain. Chronic pain is defined as ongoing pain for 3 months or more.
    You’ve been having a week of struggles. My suggestion is to listen to a podcast by Nichole Sachs about her symptoms and diagnoses. She will use words the doctors gave her, similar to your worries about “diagnoses”.
    Begin employing the tms healing techniques you have used. Send yourself messages of safety, ask yourself “what has been going on in my life” - think psychologically.
    If you have not used a guided program to help you become aware of your internal stress and personality, I suggest you begin and complete one of the two free programs here: pain reprocessing or the structured educational program. These guide you to think psychologically.
    Yoga can be a wonderful part of TMS healing, but it generally is not enough. My TMS Journey website can guide you in more journalling, explain how to slowly create messages of safety (yoga nidra!), self compassion and to focus on the psychological as well as use yoga. Dani even offers many services and classes.
    If you have not read a book by Dr. Sarno, that is a must.

JanAtheCPA likes this.