1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Music as a way to connect with yourself

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hedger, Jun 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

I connected a lot with music during my teenage years. Heartbreak, suffering etc. I could really connect a lot with myself and emotions while listening. A lot of brilliant artist bring their suffering through music, and you can recognize yourself.

During my 20s, music was more of a way to enhance positive feelings . Up beat. I´m now starting to reconnect again. I started to really listen to lyrics and sing along. I started crying and felt immense, beautiful, sorrow while listening to Metallica - Unforgiven the other day. A song about harsh childhood, Goodism, and not really being yourself. Knowing also that lead singer James Hetfield has suffered addiction and anger issues, empathy is great. A sample:

New blood joins this Earth
    And quickly he's subdued
    Through constant pained disgrace
    The young boy learns their rules

With time the child draws in
    This whipping boy done wrong
    Deprived of all his thoughts
    The young man struggles on and on, he's known

Ooh, a vow unto his own
    That never from this day
    His will they'll take away

What I've felt, what I've known
    Never shined through in what I've shown
    Never be, never see
    Won't see what might have been

What I've felt, what I've known
    Never shined through in what I've shown
    Never free, never me
    So I dub thee unforgiven

They dedicate their lives
    To running all of his
    He tries to please them all
    This bitter man he is

JanAtheCPA, TG957 and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Metallica!

Music can definitely provide relief, a sense of personal understanding or connection, an escape, etc. All of which calm down the mind-body response and the sympathetic nervous system. It can be a very useful tool indeed!

JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.