Who else on here is a musician (any level)? I think Eric mentioned being a guitar player. I took piano lessons for a few years as a kid, a year of guitar lessons in high school, and I've recently had two on-and-off years learning violin. I just switched to cello because of my shoulder pain. I ordered my rental cello right before I read "The Mindbody Prescription". If I had known what I now know about TMS I might not have done it, but I'm glad I did. I know I'll pick the violin back up at some point, maybe concentrating on fiddle tunes, but I'm desperately in love with the cello, and the playing position is so much more natural. I think cello might become my main instrument (meaning the one I put the most practice time into, not the one I'm the best at, lol! At least not yet).
I'm also currently studying music theory. There are so many concepts I don't understand, but there are LOTS of things I can memorize, which I'm very good at. Growing up, my sister had a lot more natural musical ability than me, and now so does my husband, but I'm the best at memorizing, by golly! I think learning theory before having a huge amount of musical skill is like learning all the road signs and rules before you learn to drive. It may not all make sense at first, but eventually it will be very helpful!
I would love to hear from any amateur and professional musicians on this thread, as well as folks who have always wanted to get into playing music.
I'm also currently studying music theory. There are so many concepts I don't understand, but there are LOTS of things I can memorize, which I'm very good at. Growing up, my sister had a lot more natural musical ability than me, and now so does my husband, but I'm the best at memorizing, by golly! I think learning theory before having a huge amount of musical skill is like learning all the road signs and rules before you learn to drive. It may not all make sense at first, but eventually it will be very helpful!
I would love to hear from any amateur and professional musicians on this thread, as well as folks who have always wanted to get into playing music.