1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My Recovery from RSD/CRPS (TMS) article

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by miffybunny, Feb 19, 2019.

1. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

On a CRPS/RSD website - that’s huge! Your amazing story is going to help so many people. Thank you for your insight. I love how you describe your journey and how you took a diagnosis that many people are told is “incurable” and completely took back your life. :)

plum and miffybunny like this.
  3. miffybunny

Thank you so much Dorado!! I had to simplify for those who aren't in the world of TMS like us. I'm getting some response but it's amazing how few people have contacted me. One husband called me and said his wife didn't believe my story. Another lady said she didn't want to be rude but it's not as easy as positive thinking. Now I know what Dr. Sarno must have gone through LOL!! "You can lead a horse to water...". I tried contacting Forest but maybe one of the mods would like to post it on the testimonial page? Not sure how to contact them....I've tried every way possible lol.

Dorado likes this.
  4. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

This post is AMAZING! I love the physician's names. It sounds like we had some of the same doctors. Someday, I'll post about Doctor "I'm high on Fentanyl, but I'm going to do your nerve ablation procedure." In an act of sheer desperation, I allowed him to do it!! That debacle is still too raw to write about.

fredb, plum and miffybunny like this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

So very happy for your recovery, miffybunny! I remember your posts and how difficult things were for you. Your story is wonderful and will serve as inspiration for many others.

I tried posting my success story on fibromyalgia and migraine boards. Met with anger or silence. So I don't try it anymore. I think people find out about TMS when they are ready.

Congratulations!

plum, grapefruit, Dorado and 2 others like this.
  6. miffybunny

Thank you so much Ellen! Oh my gosh yes! I thought I would be inundated with emails and calls!! I even tried following up with a few people and I just get crickets. I'm AMAZED!!! What I wouldn't have given for someone to tell me about how they got better and offering free help!! The "Fibro Warriors" are an impossible group too! I'll never understand why people want to defend their pain!! I spoke to one husband at length on the phone and he was beyond ready to hear and absorb what I was telling him! I feel I have an obligation to pay it forward but people don't seem to want my help lol! I even spoke to a mom whose 17 year old son has had full body RSD since he was 10. If I were her I would have been ALL over the info. I was giving her! When my son was diagnosed with autism, I entertained absolutely everything. I can only pray they come around and I honestly think Dr. Sarno was a saint!!

plum, Ellen, grapefruit and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dorado

Miffy, your story definitely deserves to be featured on the testimonial page. CRPS scares a heck of a lot of people and there is so much misinformation about the cause (which you know is the mind-body connection/TMS). I think it would be very beneficial to the forums and countless people. I didn't have CRPS, but I had a very overactive sympathetic nervous system and some eerily similar symptoms, and I feel that even I would have benefitted from a CRPS success story back in 2017. If you've contacted the mods already, perhaps try asking here?: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forums/about-this-site.39/ (About This Site)

miffybunny likes this.
  8. grapefruit

grapefruit Peer Supporter

That was so awesome!! Thank you for sharing.

miffybunny likes this.
  9. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Hello Miffy Bunny, it is so good to see you back and your testimony is awesome. I think there are many reasons for the lack of enthusiatic responses, even in light of your wonderful outcome.
    Some of us, having exhausted everything along the TMS lines, deep down inside, can hardly bear the search any more, nor can we accept life at this awful level. It’s not exactly giving up, but rather having repeatedly experienced failure when all has been done. For some, there hasn’t even been an obvious “cause and effect” connecting the pain sufferer to TMS when there is an exacerbation, yet we hang on and check the forum now and then looking for that little crumb of encouragement because we “cannot be fixed” by the medical profession. ( Love the way you refer to each doctor along the way of your quest. Have you heard the term, “One- Hand- on- the- Doorknob-Doctors?)
    All for now but please do continue on the pathway of your calling to help others here on the forum, regardless of lack of response. There can be unknown reasons on the part of the confused and hurting TMS reader and perhaps you will never know how much you helped someone move forward. Keep it up!
    Lavender

miffybunny likes this.
  10. miffybunny

Hi Lavender! It's so nice to hear from you and I do understand what you are saying. I really do! Just know that there is nothing unique or hopeless about you. We are all the same at the end of the day, it's just our perceptions that differ. The problem humans have is that we start to believe our own thoughts about ourselves. Our thoughts are not truth though. The concept of acceptance is an interesting one. Although you say that you have "accepted" your current state, I would guess that subconsciously it is quite the opposite. You are in a state of resistance. If you really truly accepted your pain (however that pain manifested), you wouldn't have the pain anymore!! Does that make sense?? One thing I still struggle with is how my knees "look" aesthetically. It's what has held me back from going on the testimonial wall on the TMSwiki. I felt a strong obligation to those suffering from RSD to let them know they can get better, despite my mental block with vanity. If it weren't for my vanity about how my knees "look", if I truly accepted how they look, I would be 1,000 percent better!! The problem is I've had a difficult time truly accepting because my legs were always "my thing". Even though I still struggle with the mirror, when I stop caring about how they look, is when they always return to normal. It always, always, always comes back to my thoughts.

What it all comes down to in the end is having PATIENCE with yourself. This will lead to acceptance in it's truest sense. Recovery from TMS has nothing to with "trying" or "striving" but everything to do with "being" and "accepting" and "surrendering". Never lose hope. Everything possible!

MiffyBunny

11. Dorado

I wanted to bump this thread because of how important it is. Thank you again for sharing this amazing journey with us, Miffy!

JanAtheCPA and miffybunny like this.
  12. miffybunny

Thanks so much Dorado! I really appreciate it! I wanted to get the word out but I've been quite disappointed at how little response I have had . Sadly, almost nothing from the RSDSA Association and maybe a dozen from the TMS wiki. I know I would have killed to have someone give me hope back when I was at my worst, so I certainly want to pay it forward now that I'm better! :)

silentflutes, fredb, HattieNC and 2 others like this.
  13. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Your the best Miffy

miffybunny likes this.
  14. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh my, @miffybunny, thanks to tax season, I totally missed this post! That's a wonderful, concise, and clear article that you wrote - really, it's a love letter for yourself and for everyone you are trying to reach out to.

Thanks to @Dorado for bumping the thread, or I would never have seen it!

I'll try to help, but I'm not sure what you're referencing here. If it's the old "Thank You Dr. Sarno" website, I think only Forest knows who controls that...

15. miffybunny

Thanks so much for your kind words Jan! I was referring to the little blurbs that pop up on the homepage with members stories and pictures, It seems to rotate through the same people over and over so I'm not sure how it works lol

16. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah, yes, I know what you're talking about, and you're absolutely right, I think that feed needs to be refreshed! I'll put that on my list of things to ask Forest about the next time we talk!

plum likes this.
  17. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow. I had to read their header to even find out what RSD/crps was... Like Fibro and such it seems to be a collection of symptoms with no rational pathology. I remember asking my then surgeon what 'myofacial pain' was on my diagnosis sheet in '98 and he Honestly told me it was Pain with no clear pathology... symptoms not lining up with physical observations. Sarno warned us about this in HBP. That surgeon was FIRED for not operating on enough people.

Your Post/story was awesome BUT I remember My downstairs neighbor offering me Sarno's 'Mind over back pain'... But my pain was REAL! Than I saw one of Oprahs PA's talking about her recovery via Sarno on TV. I thought she was full of Chite. MY pain was real!! Then I saw John Stossel... NICE but.... my pain is REAL!

In the annals of human endeavour there has always only been a few lucky ones. The Rest get hung up on their ego's, popular opinion and and alleged obsession with 'reason'. It's Funny, because 'Healing back Pain' was my life story and more reasonable than any of the BS I had heard in the 'system'... but I had to get that beaten down and have virtually NO alternatives left before I was willing to listen.
    Subsequently I don't get too bummed anymore when I offer help to someone and they don't get it or want it. They still have options or they're not that desperate. You can't force that kind of desperation.

It is getting tough keeping up with all of the acronyms that are TMS. I only use TMS because we have to call it something, right? It is nice to see that people have spread out the message in all sorts of media. It Does help. Evolution of thought happens slow.

good work

18. miffybunny

Hi Baseball65,

I agree with you on all points. What amazes me, is the point at which people get desperate enough to listen! I spoke with someone who was selling her house and moving to Florida to be a near a costly pain clinic, a husband of a suicidal wife etc. I guess we all have our rock bottoms but I can't stand having to depend on others to help me etc. . That's my rock bottom lol! You are correct that it's such a huge paradigm shift for people, that it will take awhile. Hopefully Dr. Sarno will get the recognition he truly deserved!

19. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@miffybunny,

I’m late to the party but now I’m here I raise a glass of champagne to you and your success. Not only for overcoming TMS but for having the spirit to share it with a less than open world.

It is disappointing when people don’t listen but I think you have to relax into trusting that even if you reach one soul who is ready, then you have passed it forward. Sarno’s work is probably never going to be for the masses and that’s ok. Evolution happens in its own sweet time. I think too as @Baseball65 says most people have to reach the point where there is nothing left to lose. You need a lot of spirit to challenge the status quo and your own ego, and sadly most people’s spirits are flabby. It’s not something people choose to nurture for the most part.

Sarno is a saint to me.
    And a hero.
    And legend.

Plum x

miffybunny, Baseball65 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  20. miffybunny

Thank you so much Plum!! And very well said!!

plum likes this.