1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Nerve Pain Face Trigeminal Nerves

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Polly, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Hi Polly.
    No apologies necessary. Thank you for your reply.

I’m so happy to hear that things are better!

I’m struggling a bit. I’m now off all meds even my go-to benzo that I’ve used to calm the anxiety and subsequently the increased flare ups by end of each day. But I’m determined and encouraged by you and the other members. It’s just nice to know that one isn’t on this journey alone. I’m looking forward to working with one of Alan’s coaches. I missed his motto in my readings but I love it. I’m putting that on a post it note on my bathroom mirror :)

Returning love and healing vibes to you.

2. Polly

Polly New Member

Hi @Sterling How are you struggling hon? With the anxiety or flare ups? If it's anxiety remember that all anxiety is is a thought and a body sensation. Focus on the body sensation not the thoughts are they just multiply and multiply and are only dependent on your mood in the moment. ie if in a good mood won't have all those thoughts etc. If its flare ups - remember recovery is not a perfect straight line trajectory. Re Alan's quote - a day without thinking about pain is success as the more you don't think about pain the more you will heal. Can't wait to hear how it goes with the coach - I might book one too!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

I’m struggling with the idea that this flare up has been going on for two years, so it’s both the pain and the anxiety. I’m particularly stuck on comparing it to the 4 months of bliss (despite the SI joint pain) in winter 2020 when I thought it was healed. It’s like psychological warfare.

But I’m meditating, doing mindfulness, reaching out to wonderful compassionate people like you.

It helps to remind myself that anxiety is just energy in the body and after 50 years of it, it hasn’t killed me yet

I’ll definitely let you know how it goes with the coach.

4. Skylark

Skylark New Member

Hi, I know I’m late to this thread but I wanted to tell you all that I have also had atypical TN after a sketchy wisdom tooth removal. Went away, came back, etc for 7 years until it came back and STAYED. And then, impossibly, spread to the other side of my face too! It’s TMS. No doubt. It’s gone now. I recently had a flare up during a time of stress but it’s didn’t last very long. I tell my brain “oh we’re doing this today?” and then just move on. The key for me was really to just accept that the pain is there. Get bored with it basically. I know that sounds impossible because it HURTS, but it is imo the best way to “outsmart” your unconscious mind. I am proof that it is TMS….since it went away I have experienced….severe acid reflux/lpr, severe lower right abdominal pain, hip pain, leg pain, gastritis, back pain, migraines, anxiety, fatigue, etc. Like, ALL the pains lol. All symptom imperatives and all tries by my brain to distract from feeling my emotions and getting to the root of my issues. But, just like in SteveO’s book, my TMS overplayed its hand. Now I’ve got it on the run and it’s like “shit what can I do now? She knows!” Lol. So the process usually goes…I wake up with some severe new symptom, freak out for a couple days to weeks to months, realize it’s TMS and then stop panicking and it goes away and then a couple days later some other new symptom starts. Guess I’m gonna repeat that until I learn my lesson that unless it’s an injury, heart attack or stroke (which my brain has tried to convince me of multiple times) it’s TMS. Try not to be afraid, it’s fear that continues the cycle of pain and symptoms. Clearly, I still have fear since I still have symptoms. Do the work that feels good to you, get exercise, find a hobby you like and know that the pain won’t be forever. And bonus, if it wasn’t for the pain none of us would know about mind/body work and the life changing things you learn along the way! Stay strong and know that facial pain IS tms. It can and will go away.

Aria, Sterling and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, baby! dancea

Seriously, folks - I also believe that tuning in to your negative inner dialogue, and literally talking back to it, is a HUGELY powerful technique. Works for me over and over. And yes, like @Skylark, I have acknowledged and accepted that this is clearly a constant process - but also like @Skylark, I know that it's also totally manageable.

And like any other skill, it just takes practice, until you suddenly realize that it's becoming more and more automatic.

Sterling likes this.
  6. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Skylark, you have no idea how much your post resonated!
    Emotionally, it’s been very difficult because this thing came back with a vengeance after about 4 months of bliss. It’s been 2 years straight and I was getting pretty depressed and desperate that this was it.

At one point last year, it was starting to mirror on the other side and I could have sworn it was a dental problem. When I got clear cone beam cat scan results and was relieved there wasn’t anything structural, all the symptoms on that side went away. More proof this thing is TMS.

My brain tries to convince me of all the worse case scenarios too lol

I’ve been having a hard time because I’m very Covid cautious and quite isolated, hyper alert about my Covid protocols so my nervous system has been jacked up even more because of this pandemic. I’m looking at ways to cope better and re-engage with life in a safe way. I think that will go a long way to relieve the symptoms. I was starting to do that in the months leading up to that blissful period, then the pandemic. I’m feeling grief at the loss of those opportunities and anger. Contributing factors in this nasty flare up I’m sure.

Thank you for sharing your story and words of wisdom :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Aria likes this.
  7. Aria

Aria New Member

Hi Sterling - apologies for taking so long to reply - and thank you for asking. I’ve been AWOL from this forum for way longer than I meant to. I’m only just checking in briefly now but will be back on board hopefully this weekend. As for how I’ve been - I’m in a holding pattern right now, not better not worse, but then again nor have I been applying the mindbody techniques I know I should so no surprise there! Just clearing the decks right now so that I can get stuck into some journalling etc. Yesterday I (finally!) subscribed to the Curable app to help me get started. One insight I’ve had though which has helped motivate me is that it doesn’t matter if I 100% believe this approach will help ‘cure’ me or not, I’m just going do the mindbody work anyway & am pretty sure I’ll derive some benefit.

How are you?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Hi Aria.
    Same here. I’m not popping into the forum too often.

I’ve started working via Zoom with a Pain Reprocessing Therapist from Alan Gordon’s centre and I’m very slowly learning how to feel safe with body sensations and emotions.

The only goal I have is to try to decrease the fear and anxiety particularly surrounding the pain in the hopes that doing that on its own will turn down the volume on the sensations. I still struggle with 100% belief in TMS, but that’s ok. One step at a time.

Working with the therapist keeps me accountable in regards to doing what is best for myself. I try not to view the approach as a set of techniques that will “cure” me, but rather as ways to calm down a severely dysregulated nervous system.
    I keep renewing my Curable subscription but I never use it anymore. I’ve been doing the Nicole Sachs style of journaling. I’ve had a few insights but I’m not sure if it’s helping with the pain. I do it a few times a week or when something arises.

I’ve finally found a hobby that keeps my interest and I ordered a bike (after not having one for over 10 years). I think that cycling will help because I tend to ruminate too much when I’m walking. Watching for cars will keep me in the present and out of my head lol
    I definitely need more fun and pleasure; I think that will go a long way in increasing feelings of safety and turning focus away from the pain. It’s been so hard during this pandemic as I’m highly Covid cautious (self-imposed isolation) and therefore, constantly on high alert. Not good for a brain that’s always scanning for danger!
    And social engagement is key in feeling safe. I really believe that I’d be in better shape if not for this pandemic.

I’ve also committed to breaking bad habits that have been jacking up my nervous system like doom scrolling on Twitter.

I have some better moments with the pain, but it’s still very much a roller coaster and I’m struggling with simply enjoying the better moments because I’m scanning for a change in the pain, wondering if it’s going to get worse again, etc. So my thinking and staying present is something I’m working on.

Anyway, that’s my report lol

Reach out any time!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Great update, @Sterling - lots of important and valuable nuggets for anyone who is struggling!

All my best to you :)

~Jan

Sterling likes this.
  10. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Thank you

11. Hannah7

Hannah7 New Member

Are you better? I have the same thing and wondering.

12. Sterling

Sterling Peer Supporter

Sorry. Just seeing this now. It’s been up and down for various reasons. I had quite a few decent weeks face wise when my brain was preoccupied with another symptom, but as soon as that symptom was dealt with, the face thing went nuts! So I’m back to struggling with the fear.
    How are you?