1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New to forum- lower back pain/spasms.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SteveW, Jun 2, 2024.

1. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

I know it. I like this doctor for the most part too. But honestly, I know she is incorrect with this.
    When my pain first became apparent to me, I was working at a physical job after a lifetime of playing sports and always being somebody who needed to be active. Yet somehow, “core strength” was the issue? Yet I see many people everyday who clearly appear to be in poor shape able to bend over at the waist to pick something up off the ground and I’m hobbling around in pain. I guess their core strength is better than mine. Really? Even before I was aware what TMS was, this really pissed me off-to know there are other people who are not very active whose backs appear fine. Like, where is the logic there? Now, I know why.! I have TMS and they do not.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

From my own experience, muscle relaxants are among those props that have to be abandoned in order to heal back pain. As your TMS work progresses, your muscles will relax.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Thanks for the input. I’ve been thinking that too. I will look to gradually stop those soon, perhaps even tomorrow.

4. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

I have to tell you, this TMS is fascinating. I decided to continue on with an activity this evening that I normally would have bowed out of prior to learning about TMS. Early today I kept getting a quick sharp pain in my upper butt cheek area. It has happened a bunch before. While walking today, it happened about 5 times. So, I was feeling really tight but wanted to continue on with the activity. I felt good mostly during the activity but felt increased tension when done. Sitting down afterward I felt everything tensing up big time. I’ve been watching video from Dan buglio (Painfreeyou) so I put on one of those videos. 30 minutes later and I still have some discomfort but that tightness is gone.
    I’ve really been liking the Painfreeyou videos. I think the concept of perception of danger pain is exactly my issue.

Diana-M and TG957 like this.
  5. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

[
    victory!!! You pushed past your fears. And you have another thing to use against any doctor’s influence that tries to weaken your resolve on TMS work.

6. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Absolutely. Interestingly, since I started acknowledging the TMS, my general physical discomfort has increased. No major “throwing out my back” type flare ups but just general increased soreness. I think this is due to me now being aware that it is mind-body and that continues to be a bit of a mind-trip for me. I think as this settles in mentally a bit more I’ll be able to reduce the pain naturally (although gradually). I’ve reduced the muscle relaxers to maybe half of my normal. Thanks again for your support!

Diana-M likes this.
  7. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

I was reading through some of the beginning info on the Structured Education Program. It says that this may not be helpful people with anxiety. I’m confused bc it seems like anxiety is a pretty common theme for the people who get TMS. Can someone help clarify?

8. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Do the SEP and read a book by Claire Weekes at the same time.
    A TMS symptom can be anxiety and TMS work can increase that symptom because your mind will realize you want some changes, and that includes dropping the “stuff” (symptoms, psychological defenses) that the brain was using in an attempt to keep you what it perceives as safe. You expose the things your subconscious has viewed as “dangerous”.
    Just keep reminding yourself this is all purely perceived danger and that thoughts are not truths, just thoughts and nothing more. You will get through the program and Claire has the very best techniques for anxiety and they go hand in hand with the TMS work.
    What helped me: every day saying “I get to do this work” instead of I have to do this work. It made a huge impact on my anxiety!

Ellen likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

As Cactusflower said, just because the SEP doesn't specifically teach anxiety reduction doesn't mean you can't address anxiety while you're doing the SEP . That is exactly what I did in 2011 when I first read The Divided Mind by Dr Sarno, discovered this forum, and immediately started working the SEP. I also came across the frequent recommendation to read Hope And Help for Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes, and it is still the second recommended book on my book list (all of my favorite resources are in my profile).

10. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

I just started up with the SEP. Wow, what a detailed resource. Kudos to the folks that put this all together. I’m going to continue on with “Week 0” tomorrow.

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  11. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Very cool thing happened today.
    Had an active day but developed a focused pain in the top of my butt. Not excruciating but clearly there and definitely different from symptoms I’ve had before learning about TMS. Mowed the lawn and I could feel it pretty consistently. Got done, cleaned up and continued on with week 0 of the SEP. listened to the 2 therapy sessions with Alan Gordon. I imagined myself in place of the clients he was talking with. That was about an hour ago and that pain went away completely! Even if it comes back now, I still thank that was fantastic.
    Alan Gordon is terrific. There’s a down to earth part of him that I like.

Ellen, JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  12. Diana-M

This is amazing news!

13. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Been working on the SEP (day 6). I’ve been Focusing on gradually increasing physical activity. Going well for the most. I was really happy with the fact that I rode my mountain bike today. My wife and I took a ride only about a quarter of a mile just to see something down the street, but it was one of those activities that in general I’ve been sort of leery of due to Not wanting to aggravating my lower back. So I will Go ahead and call that victory.
    It’s been Interesting- For several years, I’ve had this Pain in my side, literally, like My flank area. I notice this pain feels connected to my lower back pain. It gets very tender to the touch especially after doing more physical activity than usual. Now knowing about TMS, I’ve been keyed into this pain and seeing how it behaves. I was quite active today and it was acting up pretty good. Sitting down can bring the pain up. I noticed that when I first sat down it was very sensitive. After a while and after becoming calmer about it, it got better. I think this is very cool, because it’s like a real time experiment about how that area is not actually injured, although the pain is most certainly real when it happens. Like for example, I remember as a kid pitching in baseball. Especially when you Play a lot outside of games, you end up Throwing too many pitches then arm Can handle. Your arm would get sore To Certain degree, and that soreness was there, regardless of the body position you were in. Much different, with this TMS thing. Also, as I’m sitting here, I can’t help but notice that what felt like fairly substantial pain about an hour and a half ago in that flank area, is now mostly diminished. Sore muscles, such as after pitching a full game, do not Heal up after an hour and a half. Like I said, finding it very interesting how my TMS works.
    What’s also interesting, is that I developed this annoying neck pain this morning. I have had this often on for maybe a year. My neck will feel absolutely fine and then I get this feeling like a jolt, which is not unlike that feeling you might get in the lower back if you’ve experienced Back spasms and sensations like that. I’m chalking up the neck thing up to TMS as well.
    Thanks again everybody for your support and helpful information!

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  14. Diana-M

That’s cool how you are able to see how your symptoms are TMS. You are studying it. Awesome! Yes, I’d say it’s a victory, for sure, that you rode the mountain bike.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  15. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

As I’m working on my TMS, I wanted to ask a question to help myself clarify what it means to have back spasm. I’ve been thinking of those as those sudden moments where it almost feels like something shifted inside and you then have strong pain that seems to take your breath away.
    It has been these episodes that cause the most fear. The tightness that I feel is annoying but it’s what I refer to above that will be my most challenging hurdle. Is what I’m describing above considered TMS and similar to what others have experienced?

16. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, what you are experiencing is TMS. I've experienced this and I know it can be scary. People often describe it as "my back went out". There is no medical/physical basis for this. It is induced by your brain to scare and distract you.

When I have this occur, I tell myself that there is no rational reason for my back to have a spasm right now. I work to override my unconscious brain with my conscious, logical and rational brain. I then challenge it by leaning into the pain and demonstrating to myself that I can move in any manner that I want. It may still hurt at first, but after a few movements, it's gone.

I should add a disclaimer that I'm not a doctor or physical therapist. Just a person who has experienced what you describe and has overcome it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  17. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Thank you. I figured that it was but, you know, some doubt creeps in that somehow this is different. I appreciate that.
    No worries in not being a doctor or a PT. I’ve seen both and they didn’t cure it,lol!

Ellen likes this.
  18. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep! Exactly as @Ellen says.

I once had one of these excruciating spasms as I was vacuuming my carpeted stairs, a job which was long overdue. The moment that I thought "OMG I've only done a few of these and when I'm done I really should also steam clean the entire hall and the stairs" my lower back "went out".

It doesn't take much! All that has to happen is that our primitive brain senses a stress reaction that makes it think we are in immediate physical danger. It responds with a physical alert to make uspay attention so we don't get killed and eaten by the saber-toothed tiger.

The first problem with this is that today's stressors are, thankfully for most of us, not life-threatening, they just produce stress or anxiety. The second problem is that we are constantly bombarded with modern stressors.

Our primitive brains simply have no clue how to manage this avalanche of modern stressors. And so here we are.

SteveW likes this.
  19. SteveW

SteveW Peer Supporter

Thanks ! Reading these responses helps a lot. I continue on.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  20. Diana-M

Steve,
    Here’s something interesting. I get this same feeling on my stomach. It clenches like a back ache. I mean, so tight I can’t breathe. I never get back aches since I read Sarno, because I totally believed what he said and I am just not scared of it happening anymore. But stomach muscles clenching? It’s so bizarre, it scares me. It gets my attention. I’m working really hard at laughing at it. It seems laughing at symptoms honestly confuses my TMS brain so much.

SteveW likes this.