1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Overcome fear of the pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by saulgoodman, Sep 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. saulgoodman

saulgoodman Newcomer

Fear of the pain and not accepting it is my biggest issue. It's really hard not thinking about it and obsessing about it. I have pudendal neuralgia and considering the zone it's really hard to ignore it. Any suggestions on how to overcame the fear and ignore the pain?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @saulgoodman
    The best way is to keep reviewing pain education. Remind yourself over and over to a) think psychological b) TMS can’t hurt you c) this is temporary

You may need to do this 1,000 times a day. Your brain is convinced of the complete obvious. I saw a great talk the other day on youtube. The speaker asked why we would let our brain control us .. after all, it’s just an organ and we don’t let our spleen control us or our thinking. You must take control and re-program it.
    That means “doing the work” - do you engage in a daily tms work or education practice or follow a program? Alsn Gordon’s Pain Reprocessing deals directly with fear. He has a book, and also the free pain program at tmswiki.org (scroll down page). You do the program very slowly, day by day and continue with those practices. I really like the book because Alan explains how he went through the process of conquering his fears.
    But reminding yourself over and over of the most basic tms foundations above, plus doing the work will help you get there over time.
    Do it all with kindness and patience towards yourself.