1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Pelvic Floor/ Frequent Urination - Step 1- TMS acceptance Step 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jonconner, Mar 1, 2021.

1. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi,

Ten years ago I developed chronic anxiety and stress and developed a long list of physical symptoms.

Three years ago about 1-2 m0nths after losing a business, I developed urinary symptoms - frequency and urgency. This then turned into general pelvic pain and "prostatitis" symptoms. No bacteria ever found, and I can feel myself unconsciously kegaling.

Now I still have the tensing, pain in my penis, frequency, urgency, low flow rate and post ejaulation pain.

My question is if step one is accepting this is a muscle tension issue, what is step 2?

Do I still work on my body? stretching/ strengthening etc? I feel like my life is revealed around trying to get better.

Any help?

Many thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi jonconner, and Welcome!

I think you're on to this method, yes. But first I would suggest that seeing this as

is not really correct. TMS as Dr. Sarno first called it was an inner tension, a psychological tension, not a muscular tension, although muscle tension might be a symptom sometimes, like pain, etc.

If you treat this a physical problem, you often perpetuate the symptoms. This is well known in this approach. So lay off doing stuff which your mind sees as addressing your symptoms. On the other hand, no problem to stay physically active, stretch etc. which helps send a message that "I'm fine."

For what is next, then you might begin to look at the inner tension in your life: conflicts, stress, unmet needs, feelings which "don't want to be felt." Journaling is often used, or therapy, or coaching. Some folks just read and re-read Dr. Sarno's work, and journal.

Browse the Wiki and perhaps start the Structured Education Program. This program will guide you day-by-day through the learning and feeling process involved. It is free. Many many people have gotten better this way. Read success stories too, and read posts.

Good luck in your work, and post your progress and ask questions. If I did not help you, ask again.

Andy

TG957 likes this.
  3. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Well, your post is pretty timely. I just got over this chronic prostatitis when it shifted to another issue that has taken over my 'worry'.

I had a series of chronic stress issues back starting in August 2020. A real health issue, super stressful work project, COVID. I was very stressed in December when it hit me.

I was suffering from a full ache feeling in my rectum, sore tailbone, ache into my groin and zaps into my male genitals. I started thinking about the frequent urination and it came as well.

Went to a Urologist and he checked my urine and prostate and said stress.

Went back to a new urologist and he said maybe prostatitis and gave me flomax and a antibiotic. It kinda helped but he admitted he was just guessing.

When my focus shifted to my new issue all my prostatitis issues vanished.

One thing I am learning with help from members on here is you have to view your symptoms with indifference, recognizing they are just symptoms and not harmful. Its the fear that allows you mind to think you are in danger and to keep the symptoms present. I have also been looking to everyone to tell me I would be ok which is basically affirming to your mind you are in danger. I am working on trying to stop talking about my issue as much.

Looking back, I let so much stress build up in my life over a period I just crashed. I hope this helps. Just know that I had this too and it vanished. It felt super 'real' to me so don't get discouraged thinking you are alone.

4. A_M

A_M Newcomer

There is so much I could say, that I find it hard to start. So I will begin with what I think is most important, and what immediately comes to mind.

Relax, and allow your body to heal itself. It sounds cliché, but my symptoms melted once they stopped distracting me from what I was avoiding. Which brings me to,

Only if you want to, but I wouldn't get hung up on anything in particular. Say stretching or exercise makes you feel good, and it's fun and so on, of course! Otherwise, I would let them go as you're able. They'll naturally slip once you're no longer allowing yourself to be held down by TMS.
    One practice that really helped me was journaling. I can't recommend it enough. Nicole Sachs has a great video on that here: . But keep in mind, that you *might feel worse after journaling, and your pain might move to another location. But in the long run, it'll reveal thoughts that you previously didn't think you could think, if that makes sense. I also wouldn't get hung up on "I have to journal at this time, for this long, and write this much". Just feel it out, and push yourself a little bit.

Well I can tell my story. I went through an awful time back in March of last year. The whole thing is somewhat of a blur. I'm a student with bad coping skills, and a perfectionist, and always appeared "calm" on the outside, and didn't allow myself to feel anger, sadness, or fear on the inside. Honestly afraid of living. The usual stuff.
    Well, I was under a lot of pressure, and then covid hit, and I kinda imploded. I ended up with testicular pain, and eventually pain in my pelvis, an enlarged prostate, trouble urinating and so on. No bacteria, but I was put on antibiotics for two full months anyway. They didn't do much. And I developed new symptoms which I blamed on the antibiotics, and suffered from insomnia and really bad anxiety. In hindsight I think I was just really in a bad spot mentally. Bed ridden, scared, and having a meltdown. I don't like thinking about it, to be honest. Also, keep in mind that symptoms don't mean too much with TMS because they move around, so don't get hung up on xy or z comparison between your symptoms and someone else's. Everyone has to go through their own journey. Pain is very personal but we all feel it.

By luck I came across a youtube channel that's deleted now. The guy who made it moved on from his TMS videos, but his stuff was a godsend. I do wish he had stuck around, but I respect his moving on because I think that was an important step in his healing. Anyway, by some grace I had discovered TMS. I gobbled up Dr. Sarno's book The Mindbody Prescription while I was still stretching and trying all sorts of remedies. From there things get really fuzzy and hard to explain rationally. My symptoms went up and down but overall they melted away as I moved on and started living again. I don't want to discourage anyone, but in some ways I do feel "worse" in that, I'm aware of my anger, and sadness, etc. And I have to do something about them now, or at least acknowledge my feelings.

Once my symptoms were nearly gone, I also stopped drinking coffee, or doing anything that caused my body to "unravel". Rest is very important, and at least where I live it's not given enough sway in daily life. We're constantly avoiding the boring bits, and even though people can sit down and watch something on the internet, or read, they're not really there resting in the moment. You don't have to avoid coffee or anything I mentioned specifically, but do take some time to go for a slow walk, or lie on the couch, anything of that nature really.

Some closing thoughts: In a weird way I'm glad I went through TMS because it gave me a huge wake up call. A year ago I would have thought that health was purely chemical. I had neglected integral parts of human nature. Now I see that health is a combination of physical, psychological, social, and spiritual well being. In a weird way, I think it was necessary for me to go through this, and I think I knew on some level that something had to give which forced my body to develop pain for the disconnect from my life I was creating. Imagine touching a hot stove: Your hand will reflexively move on its own. No conscious control required. My life was on the stove, and my body reflexed to get me out. I think pain is the greatest teacher, and one of the only initiations into life we're given.

So tl;dr easy steps
    - Relax and get true rest
    - Face what you're avoiding due to pain as best you can
    - Journal and acknowledge / deal with your emotions and drives
    - Bonus: Watch and read positive success stories!

Balsa11, JanAtheCPA and jonconner like this.
  5. A_M

A_M Newcomer

I had trouble with that because it had become a habit to describe my symptoms to family and friends. But it only took a couple weeks before my mindset shifted. You gave solid advice, and good luck with this Pingman!

Balsa11 and jonconner like this.
  6. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Hmm I had this for a few weeks last year and then it came back in March. Don't worry about it, it will go away on its own, I promise, especially if tests don't find anything. You might feel some spasms and sensations down there but it's not much of an issue.

A_M and jonconner like this.
  7. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Fella, I feel you. This has been probably the worst three years of my life.

This is something I need to prioritize. I'm gonna start doing more restorative yoga. I do meditate but to be honest it hasn't chipped away at the "prostatitis".

Was this the tattoo artist guy? I liked his vids and actually last month when I started to look at the TMS stuff more seriously I went back to watch his vids but his gone!!!! His vids were very different compared to all the other CPPS vids on YT.

You wrote so much and thanks to everyone else too!! Ive felt so lonely and lost with this issues. It broke me when I thought I coudlbnt be broken anymore.

You guys are amazing!!!!

Jounarlling starts now!!!!!

Balsa11 likes this.
  8. A_M

A_M Newcomer

Yeah lol it was tattoo artist guy. I really resonated with what he said. I think he had a knack for helping other's because it can be very easy to intellectualize the theory of TMS and reduce it to lots of jargon. And then thoughts will be caught up in a new framework decoupled from the reality of the situation which is simply that your body wants to heal itself. And anyway, tattoo artist guy got around some of these pitfalls with his style of narrating TMS.

I'm glad you found some company with us jonconner, and really nothing puts oneself to the grindstone like a chronic pain condition.

Good luck with journaling!

Balsa11 likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @A_M, and welcome to the forum! I hope you'll take a little time to write up your story and add it both to your profile and to the Success Stories subforum (you pretty much wrote it above!) It's incredibly helpful for people who are brand-new to these concepts to be able to read descriptions of symptoms such as yours and to learn they were TMS and that they can be healed.

I am also a big fan of Nichole Sachs :)

~Jan

10. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

Hi, i`m still on my jorney but i want you to know that this was my main symtomp for to much time, but it compleate when await ones i undested it was part of my TMS, so just relax and be open to it, more easy to say than done, but i know how awfall those symptoms can be

11. A_M

A_M Newcomer

Hello, I will soon enough. The forum has helped me quite a lot, so I'd be glad to contribute!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  12. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

thanks for replying. Any tips on relaxing?

13. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

hey

when you said leave to relax, any tips? Thanks

14. A_M

A_M Newcomer

@jonconner It's about lowering stress and anxiety over time. And that's a very personal and individual sort of journey one must partake in.

But in the short term, I think taking deep breathes, and stepping into the body is key. So, for me, that's taking a step back from the internet, and spending some time on my own localized problems, and my own self. Telling a friend face-to-face about it can be cathartic, too - if possible. I also really like putting things into order, like shoveling snow, or organizing my notes. I find that putting my body into any kind of flow-state can be really grounding.

And if it's really bad, like a panic attack. I believe that panic attacks are important to accept and go through because they tend to say something like "Hey! You're not paying attention to this!!" Those are rough, but definitely something that shouldn't be "avoided".

fridaynotes likes this.
  15. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

When it comes to urinary symptoms should I go to go toilet and not stress over it or ignore it and relax into it?

thanks everyone

16. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

Not stress over it and relax, just go when you really have to, i know how its feels, but i only went when i really have too. when my bladder was really full.

Balsa11 likes this.
  17. Laura Haraka

Laura Haraka New Member

Hi Having recovered from chronic pelvic pain I stopped all physical treatments. However I still stretch because it is goof for my nervous system. I find it truly relaxes me. If you have any questions let me know.
    Laura

Balsa11 likes this.
  18. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

hi Laura

thanks for your reply.
    How did you deal with the urinary issues?
    Many thanks