1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Responding to Back Pain. . . Again

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Nanell, Jul 16, 2024.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting, @Duggit my friend - it appears that you and I interpreted this statement by @Nanell very differently! The way I responded was from the point of view of classic Sarno-style repression, because our innate fear of mortality is one of the core human issues, one of life's realities, which tends to be emotionally repressed - while at the same time the entire purpose for the TMS brain mechanism is to keep us alive... so that's a big 'ol unconscious source of emotional conflict at work right there. And of course the result of emotional conflict and repression is symptoms.

I'm certain that the primary trigger for my avalanche of symptoms in 2011 was turning 60 and trying to avoid the looming reality of my own inevitable mortality. Repression 101. I actually fought back by increasing my physical activity, even hiring a personal trainer. But what I needed was Dr John Sarno.

Nanell likes this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

@Nanell
    My first thought was you are getting somewhere! Your TMS brain brought in some more symptoms in a place where you’ve been scared in the past. It’s got you thinking physical now. Right where it wants you. You guessed it when you said it’s rattling your cage. The timing of this just completely points to TMS moving around.

I’d get out some paper and a pen and just “write sh*t down,” as they say on here. Sounds like the trip was loaded with all sorts of emotional topics. Your sons are “comforting.” What’s not comforting, in comparison? Your whole family is going through things. “Since my adoptive mom died in’22, a lot of the family dynamics have undergone an amazing amount of change as we all process difficulties from our childhoods.”

it sounds like you work hard in therapy, which is awesome! What I’ve learned on here is sometimes it’s something in plain sight that your TMS brain is trying to keep you from uncovering.

So great to hear you had a fun vacation with the family. Have you read Alan Gordon’s new book, The Way Out? You might like it. In the audio version, he reads it.

stay the course! You got this!

Nanell and Booble like this.
  3. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

There's something about that 6 - 0 number, isn't there?
    That and parents passing and the feeling of "moving up" in the line who's next are really powerful fear inducers.

JanAtheCPA and Nanell like this.
  4. Nanell

Nanell New Member

Valid points all around. Thanks. I’ve not had the same left pain today but a whole host of other symptoms. A firestorm for sure but lots of moving forward, good journaling and read, read, read. Aging for sure mixed with some post-Covid and lots of change, prepared to avoid alarm and hoping to arrive soon at a new growth stage.

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  5. Nanell

Nanell New Member

Things are moving quickly from one pain area to a new one. Now that my back is feeling better, no longer a worry, and I made the decision to stop OTC pain pills because I think they're causing digestive unrest (been there, done that before) and not really helping, my body keeps morphing from one pain to another. Yesterday was front right groin pain, a point which the chiropractor said indicated some kind of allergy? Don't know. Today sunburned skin feeling all over chest, back and abdomen (I see the wiki threads are full of that symptom) and now most of the pain seems to have shifted from back pain to front pain, like I've done a hundred situps and spasming from it. Before most symptoms were on the right and now both front and back on the left are the ouchy area. I'm talking to my unconscious, deep down know I'm HEALthy! and trying to do soothing things and reading The Way Out which is great. I guess most importantly am more assured that I'm in the throes of a TMS storm. It's always hard for me to not feel guilty if I don't run to medical with each complaint that hits me but in this case, it about seems textbook TMS and attempting to schedule a zillion tests would only prolong and exacerbate the fear factor with me. It has also been significant to me that both the chiropractor and the PT I started seeing once a week, seem to think I'm actually doing well, no big concerns, and a little puzzled why I'm in so much pain. PT is not so much for pain relief but working on building core strength and that's exactly what she's doing. Both are good listeners and open to TMS info. Another positive is that I have been the most active and feeling closer to normal since this started a month ago!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Nanell

Nanell New Member

Question for helpful long-time members. I see somewhere in the threads that Dr. Alan Gordon had made available some Pain Reprocessing tutorials. Also noticed a while back something about his having made a few counselors available for a more affordable price thru TMS wiki? I am not sure how to access that information and maybe it's old. Is that different than the Pain Recovery Program? I just read The Way Out and feel that that style of framing and coaching fits me the best.

Diana-M likes this.
  7. Diana-M

Hi, Nanell,
    If you liked the book, you would like the Pain Recovery Program! (I don’t know about any tutorials or counseling. Maybe someone else does.)

Nanell likes this.
  8. Nanell

Nanell New Member

Thanks! About the time back pain was getting manageable, long Covid seems to have intensified and kicked all the above into high gear. Seems like a coach or guide would be good at this overwhelming point.

Diana-M likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Nanell, you do understand that Long Covid is TMS, right? I mean look at it: it's a condition that mystifies the medical community and for which there is still no treatment that does anything other than somewhat mitigate symptoms, AND it involves inflammation - signifying a hyper-sensitized stress response. These things comprise the very definition of a TMS condition. But you keep bringing it up as if it's a significant health factor apart from, but negatively affecting, your TMS issues, which means that you're still thinking physically and not psychologically. THAT is what is significant, not so-called long covid.

Nicole Sachs has at least two podcast episodes on two different people who recovered from LC by doing the work.

As for Alan Gordon, his counseling/therapy service is called the Pain Psychology Center, easy to look up, and I believe most of the practitioners operate virtually.

There is no referral service through the wiki, and the Ask a TMS Therapist program is dormant and needs to be deactivated so that people stop asking questions which are never answered!

Diana-M likes this.
  10. Diana-M

My current worst symptoms came on at the tail end of having Covid last year. I think I was just super pissed off that I got Covid for the first time and I was good and sick. All that time during the pandemic I was mortally terrified to get Covid, which also contributed to my hypersensitive nervous system. All in all, I’d say long COVID is just mega-TMS. My doctor diagnosed me with deconditioning due to long COVID. But she really didn’t have an explanation for what was happening to me. That’s all she could come up with.

Nanell and JanAtheCPA like this.
  11. Nanell

Nanell New Member

It’s a complex thing and yes I am well aware long-Covid is also TMS/ neuroplastic pain. Have listened to many of the Nichole Sachs podcasts and lots of others and their great recovery stories.
    I hear exactly what you’re saying Diana-M and appreciate and empathize with your background so much. Ready to continue on this journey of self-discovery.

Diana-M likes this.
  12. Diana-M

Best of luck on your journey!

Nanell likes this.