1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by giantsfan, May 31, 2017.

1. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

After getting back to life and overcoming some pretty serious TMS symptoms I still can't seem to get back to sleeping soundly. I try to not let it concern me, but with work and studies it gets a little hard to manage with insomia. Thing is, I no longer have issues going to sleep, it's that I wake up very early (few hours after crashing due to exhaustion) and can't go back to sleep. Anyone have any thoughts or words?

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

This sounds like a case of your mind is active until shortly before sleep and physically you are so tired you fall asleep but your mind wakes you up later.

How long before sleep you stop mental activities like studying, email, etc.?

giantsfan likes this.
  3. giantsfan

Hi Fred. I usually try to stop studying at least an hour before bedtime to let my mind rest, but I've had this issue even before school and work. I've had this problem for awhile now and can't seem to shake it-makes me moody. Going in for an expensive sleep study soon as recommended by my doctor even though my gut knows this is psychosomatic-emotionally caused.

Anyone on here get their sleep back after learning about TMS?

4. nick

nick New Member

hi,
    i had a time ( stressfull, depressed) when i woke up every day on 5 o' clock in the morning ... i was frustrated and the more i tought about it the worse it goes. at this time i spoke to my psychotherapist and she told me , give a shit of it' ... and see it in a nice way ... now you have time, to read a book, to watch a film, to do something and don't forget she said ... when your body need sleep ...he will fall aseelp, dont put pressure on him ...see it in a positive way. that helps me. i know it is difficult with work and daily life, but maybe this seeing helps you too ;)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. FredAmir

So one thing you may find useful is a relaxation exercise known as progressive muscle relaxation.

I describe it in chapter six of Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain. You can find lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it.

I do it anytime I wake up too early after falling asleep. It is best if you listen to an audio of it so that your mind can relax and just follow as you tighten and relax different muscles. It takes about 15 minutes and sometimes I have to do it twice to fall asleep. It is very effective.

So try it before sleep and you may sleep all night and if you wake up too early try it again and see.

6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

8. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi @giantsfan,

I hear you! I am 13 months into my TMS healing. A lot of my symptoms have improved but the insomnia remains relentless. I am reading "Say Goodnight to Insomia". It was recommended on his forum and it is very good.

AC45

9. FredAmir

Fascinating article, Tom.

Actually, even now in many parts of the world there is you short night sleep and the afternoon nap.

But if you do not live in those regions and have to schedule your day as others do, it is difficult to tell your teachers, employer, etc., that you can't be there because that's your second sleep or nap time.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

One of my best employee's would take a daily nap at work. Employers would be wise to encourage and allow napping at work, productivity would increase--maybe a room full of massage chairs, or a napping room, with cots, hammocks or mats on the floor.

11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a client who had great results using Dr. Sarno's method with insomnia (which we worked with after her pain subsided). I recommend you figure the insomnia is mind-body, and continue to do some standard practice like "think psychologically," applying it to your symptoms when they arise. I think you'll find it helpful.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  12. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I finally got rid of the insomnia using TMS strategies. I had both the trouble falling asleep and the waking up early types of insomnia for many years. I overused sleeping medications to address it, but eventually they stopped working and I was in crisis. I went a long time on an average of 4 hours of sleep a night. I had successfully recovered from fibromyalgia and migraines using TMS strategies after about a year, but the insomnia persisted despite all my efforts. Then I finally realized that the missing piece was outcome independence. I wasn't applying the concept to the symptom of insomnia like I had to pain. So I changed my approach completely. I stopped trying to sleep (which is impossible anyway). I no longer followed all the sleep hygiene advice, taking supplements, etc. Most importantly I decided to accept, even embrace the insomnia. I realized that I could still function even though sleep deprived, and that many times during the day, I completely forgot about my sleep deprivation and life was pretty normal. So I stopped worrying about getting enough sleep and catastrophizing about it. Instead, when I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep, I'd just say "Oh well, this is how much my body wants to sleep right now." Then, I'd get up and listen to audio books or something else and go about my day. Gradually, my sleep returned to normal. I now average 8 hours of sleep a night. I occasionally wake up during the night, but I can fall back to sleep. The only thing that changed was my attitude and belief that I required a certain amount to sleep to function adequately. This is the key. I think outcome independence is essential for recovery from all TMS symptoms.

You can overcome your insomnia, too. Hang in there. Be patient and address your attitude and beliefs about sleep.

stevow7, Plz568, Cap'n Spanky and 4 others like this.
  13. AC45

AC45 Well known member

The book "Say Goodnight to Insomnia" is very much along the lines of Ellen's response. It is very hard for me to do but the advice is spot on. It is all about our attitude/thoughts/feelings about insomnia that perpetuates it. I've been working on TMS for 13 months and, like Ellen, the insomnia is one of the most persistent symptoms. I have a lot of 3am anxiety and insomnia that comes from it. I never stopped traveling but I do have the most difficult time while I travel. I refuse to give in and stop traveling but it definitely puts a damper on the experience (and the desire to keep traveling). Good luck to you insomiacs out there. Let's keep supporting each other!

Cap'n Spanky and honey badger like this.
  14. giantsfan

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your kind and helpful responses.

@AC 45, Yes, I've actually read her book awhile ago and tried to follow through with it, but eventually I got tired of scheduling my 6 or 7 hour sleep block. I'd feel even more exhausted for some reason and also felt as though I was focusing on sleep more while trying to follow all of her rules. I do like some of the connections she makes with outcome independence though. I hope the book helps you!

@Ellen, wow that's great to hear! It makes so much sense. I guess it's just harder for me to get through it when I feel like I'm literally just dragging myself to get through the day. Knowing that you've improved your sleep is great inspiration. Thank you for sharing that!

@Andy B, Thank you for your inspirational story as well. Sounds like you're really helping people to overcome their symptoms!

@Tennis Tom, Hey Tom, I've actually read that article as well. It's one that I refer to quite frequently to try to remind myself that it's ok to wake up in the middle of the night. I guess I just wish I had more sleep time. The article makes it sound like people slept in blocks but that many still slept 8 hours total. Hoping to get there again someday. I suppose not worrying or letting it bother me is key though. Hope you're doing well buddy! Lunch on me next time

@Fred, I'll give the muscle relaxation audio a shot! Thanks for the advice Fred!

@nick, Thank you. Sounds a lot like outcome independence again. I suppose I need to apply that more to the exhaustion throughout the day more than the insomnia itself during the night.

The takeaway: outcome independence. Not thinking about sleep, not worrying about the lack of sleep, and not letting the exhaustion bother me. It could very well be that the depression I live with due to my constant thoughts about my lack of my sleep are causing my exhaustion rather than the lack of sleep itself which may have little to no bearing on my energy level. Anyways, thank you all!!!

nick, Tennis Tom and Ellen like this.
  15. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

This such a great post. Thank you! I recently got off amitriptyline and it has been playing havoc with my sleep (waking up at 3AM every morning). Your post does a great job of incapsulating the TMS approach to insomnia.

Ellen likes this.
  16. FredAmir

There is a form of magnesium developed at MIT that can help with sleep as well as improve memory by 10 years. Here is my post about it.
    https://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2019/11/21/For-Better-Memory-Focus-and-Sleep-Take-This

Cap'n Spanky and BloodMoon like this.