1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Some confirmation needed: Trigger Points!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Birdie, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

Dave,
    That's a really great post about how you got past the trigger points. I'd also like to emphasize how important the idea of exercise is. A couple of months ago I started playing basketball after not feeling up to it for fifteen years. I didn't feel up to it when I went to the court either. It's only by doing it and realizing that I was okay afterwards that I've progressed.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Herbie. You folks are answering the questions about trigger points.
    It's amazing how TMS smart you all are. Not really amazing, just wonderful how you all help each other.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Hi I disco
    Wow you just described exactly how I came to discover tms. I thought id found my answer with trigger point therapy. Then hanna somatics came along which I think is fantastic and now im just starting tms which I hope is the answer to my prayers.
    By the way I have the myth of aging series from thomas hanna book on audio if your interested and also a ton of other stuff. Just let me know.

4. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

I also went through the whole trigger points drama - real name muscle knots !;)

I got rid of them by visualization. I used to imagine them in my mind's eye, then see them engorging with blood and the muscle smoothing out. Same as all the other TMS stuff, ignore it for long enough and it will give up.

5. Richsimm22

I have pressed onto them for years and Its done nothing. Always been told that Its my posture(rounded shoulders) but im trying to convince myself its not the case. Just getting towards the end of john sarnos book healing back pain. I also prefer to call them muscle knots.

6. Mermaid

All I got was a big bill and a load of bruises from "therapy". Mine were apparently caused by using my computer at work (belly laugh!) It's all nonsense and part of the fear-tension-pain-fear cycle we need to break. Have a try at the visualization thing, it really does work. :D

7. Richsimm22

Great thanks I will do. A friend of mine suggested the same thing. The meditation on howard schubiners website mentions a warm healing globe in the centre of your body and to visualise it healing every fibre of your body. Im going to visualise it engorging all my muscles with fresh oxygenated blood.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  8. Mermaid

I'm sure you'll find a huge improvement in a while. One thing I kept doing was poking them to check if they're gone, until I realized this was counterproductive. Never touch them again is my recommendation and they'll melt away in time like mine did. Like all aspects of TMS healing it likes practice, time and patience.

Good luck :)

9. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hello.

Great posts....appreciated...!

Like NolaGal I am v.much in the habit of pain,
    almost to the point of pain being that which I
    live rather than than life itself. I am constantly
    searching for (& partaking in) the 'wonder release'
    including extensive trigger point therapy. As previously
    mentioned it would seem to have some value but
    needs to be balanced against the need to truly
    embrace the concept of TMS as being psychologically
    based. I think this can be said of most physical
    therapies and exercise programs.

In truth my search for the 'miracle cure' continues
    to bring me back to this place & ultimately to myself,
    my inner being. I am overwhelmed by it all. The more I
    try the bigger the hole gets. Maybe there lies the truth!
    Just how to surrender to that I remain uncertain.

Is there a trigger point for the soul?

With thanks.

Pete

10. Richsimm22

I have knots (tender spo
    I have knots all over my back particularly between my shoulder blades and down either side of my spine. Was yours the same? It always really bad first thing out of bed.

11. Mermaid

I had them in my scalp (ouch!), neck, shoulders, upper back and buttocks. I used to alway hurt all over first thing in the morning, because I was supposed to have fibro, thanks to Dr.Nocebo !

12. Richsimm22

Wow how do you feel now

13. Mermaid

I never give the trigger point thing any thought whatsoever. It was just one in a long series of TMS stuff that I've dealt with. I'm not totally pain free, but pretty close, I don't let it stop me doing anything. All these labels are just TMS, try not to fixate on it. If you have any books on it or any of the silly gadgets they sell for it, toss them in the trash.

Try and get some exercise too, if you're not already, just taking a walk helps to get your circulation moving and get oxygen to your knots to help them release. The more active you get the better you feel. I bit the bullet and went swimming when my upper back was killing me and it helped a lot.

Ellen likes this.
  14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've known I sit too much and do almost no exercise. My leg strength is not good, so I went to Dr. Google today
    and found a very good web site with exercises for seniors to strengthen the legs. I usually avoid Dr. Google,
    but exercising the legs for seniors looks very good. I've begun the 4 exercises suggested and will keep at them
    every day now.

It's too snowy and icy to walk outside, but I can walks in the house and I do.

I'll post that link for exercise:

15. Richsimm22

Thanks for the great advice. Much appreciated. I spent years on the whole trigger point circus. The more I learnt the less I knew. I went round in circles. I think ive read everything about them on the Internet. I shall read no more. Ignore them and concentrate on my emotions and tms.

16. Mermaid

Don't you feel like a weight's already been lifted of off you when you decide to ditch one of your "cures", I know I did.

17. Richsimm22

It does feel better. I must admit my pain got worse after I discovered trigger point therapy and started to prod my back with tennis balls and other odd devices. I used to get annoyed when I would read about it and it would say press on the trigger point until the knot melts away or pain lessens like it was a given. Well I did it on and off for years and although it was gratifying to press on them I had zero success. I would get even more confused and angry when they tell you not to exercise a muscle until the knot has gone through trigger point therapy. Ridiculous.
    This article makes a mokery out of the whole thing too.
    MUST READ!

http://www.fmperplex.com/2013/02/14/travell-simons-and-cargo-cult-science/

"Dr. Frederick Wolfe, the director of the National Databank for Rheumatic Diseases and the lead author of the 1990 paper that first defined the diagnostic guidelines for fibromyalgia, says he has become cynical and discouraged about the diagnosis. He now considers the condition a physical response to stress, depression, and economic and social anxiety.“Some of us in those days thought that we had actually identified a disease, which this clearly is not,” Dr. Wolfe said. “To make people ill, to give them an illness, was the wrong thing.”"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  18. Mermaid

That's a very interesting article, thanks for sharing it. Those of us who have developed physical symptoms due to chronic tension, caused by our unconscious reaction to ongoing stress, know only too well how much harm can be caused by so called medical experts trying to "treat" our symptoms.

The only effective treatment is the peace we get from understanding and accepting the true cause. None of this is complex or difficult to understand, our biochemistry has gone temporarily out of balance due to the continued release of "stress" hormones. We need to relax our thinking and use our bodies normally to get back in balance.

There is indeed no such thing as fibromylagia, I had chronic migraines and a mild back ache when I consulted a neurologist on the advice of my doctor. He did nothing short of poison me with meds I didn't need for a disease that doesn't exist. There is a saying that "If all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail", which explains how all the incorrect damaging diagnosees are handed out.

In a nutshell it's all a load of rubbish motivated by ego and financial greed.

Tennis Tom and Richsimm22 like this.
  19. Richsimm22

20. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

Thanks so much Rich for sharing that previous article about Travell and Simons. I used to see a trigger point therapist who seemed to be helpful to a point and when I got no more pain relief she blamed it on my allergies and vitamin deficiencies. Reading that article hearing other people's recovery stories makes me realize more how inaccurate trigger point theory is.