1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sore wrists and elbow while using crutches... HELP!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Seraphina, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Matthew, thanks for your kind words.
    I think TMS success requires not only the knowledge and understanding of TMS but also the true practice of the theory in daily life (i.e., no fear of physical issue and focus entirely on the emotional side). And I see myself having hard times on the second part.

I feel that my elbow thing comes up as soon as I start to worry about it, and the worry feeds the worry itself and the discomfort turns into an actual pain time to time (such a baaaad vicious cycle, it is!). I'm planning to do SEP as soon as I feel comfortable with typing long. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

This is the TMS Wiki, SO, you need to talk emotional and NOT physical as much as possible. You are still posting about 80-90% about physical, which is normal when you're new to TMS thinking. Keep posting emotional/psyschological and your TMS will get better and then disappear.

3. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

My pain is fear based too I think. When I started and I was in a lot of pain, I used to say to myself, "I'm right here. I'm right here. There's no other place I'd rather be." I would say this over and over until I started to calm down and be less afraid of the pain. Most often my pain wouldn't diminish but my fear would and gradually, that helped with the pain going away.

Good luck!

4. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Thank you Waterbear.
    Everytime I feel the pain-like odd sensation on my elbow, I keep reminding myself of your elbow story. And it does help relieving the pain!

Funny thing is, as I've been ignoring whatever goes on my elbow and been happy with less pain on my wrists, my knee pain came back. I also get to have a mild headache today--similar to the one that I have when I consume too much caffeine. The symptom imperative. ARGH. Well, I did drink several sips of Earl Grey today--I haven't for a couple of months--but just some sips of it didn't affect me before. This should be the TMS moving around.
    Gosh why can't my brain just let me be pain-free? I sometimes get very angry with my brain doing this to me...

5. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

I have knee issues too. My knee pain bothers me more then the elbow pain ever did, so the elbow pain is gone now and the knee pain is still around, but not too bad anymore.

I get frustrated too. I get mad at my brain too. It doesn’t seem fair somedays. However, that what it wants. It wants you to be frustrated and distracted.

It’s very hard to do while you’re so sore, but try to think of what this experience is giving you or what you are learning about yourself.

Due to my TMS struggles and pain, I’m starting to reevaluate a lot of what is important in my life. For example, I was a workaholic. My one single goal was to make video game art and when I got there, I wasn’t happy. I was the most miserable I’ve ever been in my life. I developed my TMS during my time there and after the company shutdown.

I spent 1.5 yrs in pain and unable to do most of the things I obsessed with. I could no longer slave away every hour of the day trying to make my resume and portfolio perfect.

It gave me time to think and I came to realize that the one thing I always wanted to do but never did was travel. I’m curious and I want to see the world. I’m going to Panama in 2 days :)

If I had never hurt my elbow and was forced to slow down, stop drawing, and think, I would still be ignoring myself.

I’m still figuring things out, still trying to find my place in my new world of paying attention to myself, but I think I’ll be better for it.

Good luck!

Never give up!

**Note: I'm not perfect by far. This week leading up to my trip, I've had knee pain, elbow pain, groin pain, stomach pain, and a headache. They are all gone today. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Seraphina likes this.
  6. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

@joseph101 thanks for the advice! I've been off crutch for 4 weeks, and I feel my wrists are getting better slowly but gradually.

*update: it's been a week that I'm ignoring the elbow. It is working. OH and the pain is moving around my body--knee, back, hip, neck, arm... but it just confirms elbow thing was TMS. Thanks everyone! I think I always stumble with a lot of doubts from Googling, accept other TMSers' success story, calm down, and get better. I can't help doubting first... that's the biggest obstacle I have.

I think such habit developed since I had my right foot injury (the ligament was actually elongated) due to a simple heavy step on the ground. I waited for a month for the pain to disappear, but it only went worse until I finally wore a cast to fix it. The right foot is now getting better and better under rehabilitation, but the sensitive and perfectionist personality developed since then is making TMS symptoms over and over again... 'what if this one is physical, too?'

I know such attitude is not good toward TMS, but I think many of us started like this when they were new to TMS--especially when you don't have any TMS practitioner around to confirm. That is why I keep reading success stories and asking this and that here. I'm sorry if my questions on the forum bother any of you in any way, but it's sort of a way of asking for support and help. :(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Hey Waterbear! Hope you're having a great time in Panama!
    It sometimes make me feel confused to know the brain wants me to be frustrated and feared to protect me, but then the frustration and fear feed themselves, and those negative emotions makes my inner child even angrier and brings me bigger pain in result... And then I came to think "well then someone should break that cycle, otherwise it will go on and on like a rolling snowball!"

Yes, it's very hard when the pain is especially severe, and when I try to ignore them, headache sneaks in. But thanks to you I try to calm myself down with affirmation "I'm healthy, and I AM healthy," or "sorry if you're upset, but this is NOT the point for you to get mad with my body"--the latter to my inner bully or my brain. I'm not sure if the affirmations clearly work, but it does let me be and have time to think about my situation.

Your advice always helps me. Thank you!! :)

8. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

just an update... as I'm treating my hip and coccyx discomfort as TMS symptom imperative, too, my left inner elbow started showing the same pains as the right one! What the **** TMS? It's so ridiculously moving around... hahaha It seems my brain is still too stubborn, stuck with TMS strategy. but I will win this battle!

9. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

Back from Panama!

Seraphina, glad my story is helping you. Keep it up. You got this. :)

The pain jumping from elbow to elbow happened to me too. My left elbow was the worse one and one day before I left for Panama, my right elbow started killing me at work. I was like, "Ummm, you haven't hurt in months, cut it out." About 2 hours later, no pain. So no worries there, just TMS being sneaky.