1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for new tags

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, May 5, 2015.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Do you have a suggestion for a new tag on the forum? First, review the master list of tags to make sure it is not already included on the list (either directly or encompassed in a broader tag). If it is not included, post your suggestion in this thread.

Because of something called "thin content" we won't be able to add too many new tags. As of this writing, we have 237 tags. In about a year, we will probably have closer to 300, but it will take a lot of work to get there. Coming up with the list we already have has been a lot of work indeed. :)

With that said, it never hurts to make a suggestion, and when it comes to making tags, the more feedback I get, the better.

The master list of tags is here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/tags/
    I also maintain a categorized list of tags that may be easier to get your head around:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/thread...t-way-to-help-this-community.8201/#post-45209

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Forest,

Maybe one on "positive psychology" and/or "positive emotions" . Something on "building relationships" or "building connection with others" .

I posted recently about Shannon Harvey's blog post on "Three Loving Connections" exercise and couldn't find any tags that fit.

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

Hi Ellen, thanks for the suggestion!

Those sound like positive additions to the list. Here's what I came up with for wording. For each of the three, I tried to "keyword stuff." What I mean by this is that most people will search for keywords by just starting to type, and since we don't know what words they will type, we want to "stuff" the tag with different keywords, so the tag pops up no matter what they choose.
    • cultivating positive emotions such as happiness, kindness and love
    • the psychology of thriving - positive psychology (I put "the psychology of thriving" first because I'm concerned that people might not know what positive psychology is. I don't want people to apply it to threads that aren't actually about positive psychology, so I put "the psychology of thriving" first to be safe. This does seem like an important topic that is worthy of it's own tag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology )
    • relationships attachment connection
    How does that sound? I'd be interested in feedback on additional things that people might type when one of the keywords above is what they are looking for. (i.e. more ideas for keyword stuffing.)

4. Ellen

Those sound great!

Another keyword in positive psychology is "resilience" or "building resilience", but I don't know if it's necessary to add it.

5. Forest

Good idea. Resilience is such an important topic - for those who aren't familiar with the topic yet, it describes how well people "bounce back" after a challenge:
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/resilience
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_resilience

To keep things quick, I went ahead and made the following three tags:
    The final phrasing I used for the third tag just felt right and I bet that you would really like it, but if you want to offer feedback, feel free. There is only one thread with the tag so far, so it would be easy to change it.

Currently, there is only one thread each for the three tags, which is way too few for them to be useful for visitors or for Google. For example, if a visitor sees the tag on the thread and clicks on it, the only link they find will come back to the thread where they started. Likewise, Google will look at the tag page for them as "thin content" because there just isn't much there. If it decides that we have too much thin content, it would penalize us as a "content farm." However, these are important enough tags that we will need them eventually, so I'm confident that they will fill up over time. If anyone wants to search for appropriate threads to apply these tags to (just use the search box in the upper right and add the tag if you find a thread about the topic), that will help fix the thin content much more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ellen likes this.
  6. Ellen

I think the wiki being a "content farm" is a good thing. :) But I know that Google must be catered to.

7. Forest

Indeed. :) And they seem to like us. As of today, they include 10,834 pages on our site in their index. The number they include is actually always changing as they change their algorithms.

The most important thing to get them to like us is to focus on "quality." They have ways of measuring how long people stay on our pages and whether people like our site. Specifically, whenever someone clicks on a link to our site, Google can measure how long it takes before they do another search. This is referred to as "dwell time," and it is a powerful measure of how useful people find the site. If they hit the "back" button immediately and look for other sites, it's an indication that they might not have liked what they saw, so Google might not show that same page to other people. However, if they spend a long time, Google may conclude that they found what they wanted and show it to many more.

Likewise, if we develop a reputation for high quality content, this may increase our "click through rate" (CTR), another strong signal that Google uses.

The bottom line is that whenever someone types something into Google and one of our pages comes up as an option, we have an opportunity to impress the visitor from Google. If we impress them, Google will send more our way.

So far, we do pretty well. After all, just about everyone reading this probably found us via Google.

When it comes to tagging, this will help Google identify our best threads and show them to people who will find them helpful. This means more people get out of pain. We just have to be judicious in applying tags, because if we apply tags to threads where it won't help people, they will click the back button, dwell time will be low, and we won't have the opportunity to help as many people.

8. Forest

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Ellen likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good suggestions, Forest. I'll keep them in mind.

10. Ellen

How about "autonomic nervous system"? In trying to tag Dr. Schubiner's recent blog post that mostly talked about the ANS, I couldn't find an appropriate tag.

11. Forest