1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The best interview with DR schubiner regarding pelvic pain

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Mala, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Mala

Mala Well known member

In this link Dr Schubiner is interviewed by Abigail Steidley about pelvic pain & he gives very good reasons & evidence as to why he thinks this is most definitely a mindbody syndrome. He answers questions many of us have about IC, vulvodynia, PN etc. such as

How do we know that the pain is MBS & not something structural?

How do we get past the notion that the pain is not dangerous?

Why increasing activity is important?

Why pelvic pain is a physiological reaction & not a pathological one & the difference between the 2.

It is truly an enlightening interview & if I may humbly suggest do find yourself a quiet place with pen & paper & really listen to what he has to say & make notes. It is very powerful!

http://vulvodyniacoach.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/schubiner-interview1.mp3

Hope this helps.

Mala

Anisha_d87, Forest and Ellen like this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Got it downloaded. Will listen later. Thanks, Mala!!

Mala likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Mala. I have just downloaded it and will take a listen.

Mala likes this.
  4. Abigail

Abigail New Member

So glad you found this interview helpful, Mala!

Forest and Mala like this.
  5. Mala

Mala Well known member

Thank you for doing the interview Abigail & for joining us here. You have been a great source of inspiration for many of us.

billiewells likes this.
  6. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Glad to be here! I was a member a long time ago, but got swamped with my coaching practice and then having a baby. :) I'm glad to be back! And thanks for the kind words!

7. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

That interview is fantastic!!!!! Thank you so much for putting it up here . . . so much insight and direction

8. westb

westb Well known member

Just discovered this interview and I've found it truly inspirational. Thank you!

9. Alfaman147

Alfaman147 Well known member

Wow. Absolutely amazing. My problem is just a constant pressure sensation in the anus. It's like my anal sphincter is in constant spasm. Pelvic floor therapist says I have a tender levator ani muscle but there is no such thing as levator ani syndrome. She says tension in the pelvic muscles can cause sore spots all over the place. I seem to be holding a constant kegal inside. I am fully aware of the anxiety cycle. I believe my pain is psychological in cause. It's gone when I'm asleep or drunk. It's an ongoing problem I have had for about 6 years. I had a 2 year break of symptoms but it came back and I was devistated. That was about 2 months ago. I am on anti anxiety meds which I lowered the dose of when I was better. But I have had to increase again. I have also been given some beta blockers to help with the worry. But all in all its nice to hear other people have this. I guess i hold my anxiety and stress in my ass haha. But the interview is a big help to listen to. I'm keen to hear from abigail. I'm keen to hear about any other men with the rectal symptoms

10. Mala

Mala Well known member

@Alfaman147 if u have had tests & nothing has shown then like u said u r probably holding a lot of tension in that area. When muscles r tight they can affect the nerves as well as blood circulation which can cause a helluva lot of pain. Even though u r aware that u r holding tension its not that easy to let go becoz u have been doing it so long that it has become a habit, it's ingrained into yr psyche & has become yr new normal.

Its that cycle u need to break.

Allow yrself to relax. You know u can do it unconsciously when u sleep & when u drink alcohol. Take it to the next level & when u r awake consciously focus on relaxing into that area when u breathe out. Let yr whole pelvis just sink down as u breathe out. U will have to do this consciously till yr unconscious learns this automatically. The difference between a tense pelvis & a relaxed one is unbelievable & this will make u realise just how much stress u r carrying around in that area. It will take time but it will happen. Distract yrself by doing something u enjoy & like Sarno says don't focus on the pain or any of the other sensations.

Listen to the interview again & understand why pelvic pain is a physiological reaction & not a pathological one & the difference between the 2. This will help convince u that what u have is not serious. This in turn will help alleviate some of yr anxiety.

And when u journal think abt what or who is being a pain in the B....

Take care

Mala

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  11. Alfaman147

To be honest I think the best way is to just carry on. Learn to live with the symptoms. Do not fear them. I think it will fade again. The more I try to get fixed the more it's ingrained in my head. I went back to work today after a month off and I wanted to come home after an hour. But I stuck with it. And I'm going to keep sticking with it.

12. Alfaman147

Also serious illness doesn't just go at night or after a drink or too. I'm such a doofus

13. Exxes

Exxes New Member

Great interview !

14. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Excellent! Fantastic information and both Abigail and Dr. Schubiner's are so reassuring!

15. Hopeful818

Hopeful818 Peer Supporter

This was amazing to listen to! Thank you!

16. Mala

Mala Well known member

Yes i found this to be a very effective & informative podcast.

Mala