1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tinnitus in the brain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MAE, May 11, 2019.

1. MAE

MAE New Member

Hi. I used to be on this forum about a year ago because of a lot of pain (in EVERY part of my body) and neuralgic symptoms (paresthesia, muscle cramps, etc) among others. A year and a half later I managed to overcome all my symptoms, Just a few weeks ago I was so good as ever before.

BUT, then, about two weeks ago, I developed a strange sound in my head, like an electric feeling in my head.
    It is like a very high and distorted frequency that seems to come from my head and not directly from my ears.
    My doctor says that my ears are healthy.

It is a possible TMS symptom? I've read that @Alan Gordon LCSW experienced tinnitus too (by the way, is this tinnitus or is different?), it goes away at some point? I felt so devastated, just when I was feeling so incredible good, this symptom is worst than every other I had last year :(

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Krmzydn likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @MAE:

Please don't be discouraged - most of us who have been doing this work for a long time have accepted that what we call the TMS mechanism is a normal brain function that tends to go into overdrive in these modern times - and it's really easy for setbacks to occur during times of stress. I go back to the basics whenever I have a setback (and I have had many in the last couple of years or so, triggered by current affairs and that's all we're going to say about that).

The basics are the writing exercises from the Structured Educational Program, and reading something - it can be an old favorite (mine is Hope & Help For Your Nerves) or something new (I recently picked up The Meaning of Truth by Nicole Sachs, which I bought some time ago but became distracted and didn't finish). Also, lately I've been listening to podcasts - Nicole Sachs has a good one called The Cure For Chronic Pain, and I've also been enjoying podcasts by member @LindenSwole , aka Eddy, which I learned about from this post: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/avoiding-foot-surgery-interview-with-andy-bayliss.20733/#post-109032 (Avoiding Foot Surgery Interview with Andy Bayliss)

Hang in there - it's just a setback, and you can get through it!

~Jan

Lainey, MAE and Dfw like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi MAE,

I'll add simply that "weird feelings in the body" including in your head are not an uncommon TMS symptom. By getting cleared by a physician, you are opening the way for clear self-treatment as TMS.

Andy B

MAE likes this.
  4. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

MAE

I experienced the very same chain of events. Hang in there, follow advice of some great posters on here. Two of the best right here (Andy & Jan) It does get better, but during the tough times, you have to remember the good days, weeks and months. Tough times are transient!!!

Remember everyone out there has some sort of “baggage”. This is yours now, but it ends up being a minor inconvenience in the long run.

MAE likes this.
  5. MAE

MAE New Member

Thank you very much to all of you for your answers!! I've already started to work with this setback and I know I will succeed again.

Krmzydn and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. MAE

MAE New Member

UPDATE:
    I've been dealing with anxiety and depression during this months because of the tinnitus I've described in this post. I've started to have daily headaches since then. It's been 4 months now. I've been meditating, doing a lot of sport, journaling... and recently I was able to feel that I am ok and that nothing is wrong with my head, that I only have tension and stress. Miraclously my headaches stopped as soon as I deeply felt that, that I am ok (after 4 mothns of debilitating daily headaches!!) I've started to apply the same way of thinking to my tinnitus. I've noticed that at least, it distress me less, and when I wake up in the morning I don't have it. After a few seconds it comes again, but right when I wake up is not there. That makes me think that is possible to not have it at all. If there are seconds where is not in my head, it means that my brain is creating it and it can delete it as well, right?
    Sorry about my english, is not my first language.

Krmzydn and JanAtheCPA like this.