1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS - Influencing injury healing time

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by SebastianM, May 13, 2022.

1. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since my last post. Just a few words regarding my "story". In 2014 I got several physiological symptoms (heartburn, shoulder pain, adductor pain, neck pain, ...) due to unprocessed bereavement of my father and stress during my studies.
    After psychotherapy and dealing with TMS and psychosomatic pain in general I can say that all these symptoms are 99% away. I am so grateful to have run through this hard period of my life (2014 - 2018) and am now a happy person full of lightness and depth.

Now I am 31 years old. In the last 1,5 years my life changed intensively. My girlfriend and I moved together in one flat (1st time for both of us), I got a new position in my job and the next period of my life starts, e.g. becoming father (maybe), ...

Why am I writing and asking for your help / opinion?

I recognize that I am more stressed. My girlfriend is a young teacher and works very much, what also affects my own feelings and life. Additionally I have much responsibility in my new job and would need (sometimes) her support or just relaxation time together to go through my own stressful job. Instead she mostly is thinking and talking about her own stress / worries, ...

In the end of November 2021 I had two small "accidents":
    1.) My little toe was severely injured because I ran into an object. It is swollen and painful since >6 months right now.
    2.) My left thumb was severely overstretched while climbing and has also been swollen and painful since then.

I have had both injuries checked by orthopedists. Recommendation: No treatment necessary, wait and see.
    In the meantime, I am at a loss and tend to despair, as the injuries are not healing. I am asking myself: "Why is nearly everyone's body able to heal and not mine...?!"
    Besides these obvious injuries, my tendons & joints are clearly more sensitive: achilles tendon, wrists, finger joints tend to be painful after different actions / movements. I already know this from the time 2014 to 2018 and it indicates increased tension in the body, due to stress / emotions / feelings, especially being overwhelmed, being helpless, feeling misunderstood / disregarded.

Now to my question: Have you already gained experience with the healing of obvious injuries in relation to TMS and increased stress?

I am grateful for any advice / inquiries and experiences.

Thank you!

All the best and many greetings
    Sebastian

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

In 2013 I was working on a ladder and mis-gauged a step. My entire body weight got hung up on my right hand pinky and it bent all the way back and touched the back of my hand. It even made an audible 'snap' that my boss heard. He asked if I wanted to go to the hospital.I did not go..I HATE getting 'diagnosed' and looking at and hearing their dumb prognostications....and about two months later when it was killing me and I had it taped to my ring finger It occurred to me it was occupying the same spot in my attention that my back pain formerly had...and I took the tape off and began to use it again. It hurt for a few days, but it has healed pain free 100%. Zero treatment. Bent to all hell...fine.

Later that summer, I fell again...two stories and severed my left thumb (it was a tough summer for fingers LOL). I was terrified they wouldn't be able to reattach it. They did. I was back using it in 5 weeks! 18 months later, while looking at my Liver and gall bladder they found I had broken my spinal vertebrae during that fall...and I had zero back pain. I was so worried about my thumb I never had a moments attention to spare for anything else.

Small breaks in toes and finger heal really really fast. They don't take 6 months to heal. Period.

Things like that are there to serve as a distraction. Period.
    and that's probably what it is keeping you distracted from

backhand likes this.