1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What about anti-anxiety meds?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by cirrusnarea, Jul 28, 2013.

1. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

I know Dr. Sarno has spoken out against ant-depression meds as treating symptoms and not the cause. But what about mild tranquilizers such as valium, xanax to help with the anxiety that comes with TMS? Would that also be masking the symptoms, or will it help me to chill out and become less tense? I know others on here have to have some insight on this. Thanks!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it really depends on the person and where you are in your recovery. If you are feeling that the anxiety is too hard to handle, then taking medication may be a good idea, of course it will only be treating the symptom and not the cause. In terms of medications, Dr. Stracks had a great response in this Q&A article. With some medications, it is advisable to ween yourself off of them under the care of a physician.

Anxiety is just another side of the TMS coin. It may seem overwhelming, but it serves the same purpose of distracting you from your emotions. Learning to allow and accept your emotions will help you reduce your anxiety and pain levels.

3. cirrusnarea

Thanks Forest, I don't need them too often, but when I'm in pain, I find they help me relax. I'm not on anything heavy just a xanax or valium as needed. But I was just wondering since anxiety is a TMS symptom, if I should let myself take them. Since it's kinda like taking a pain killer for the pain. Anyway, a good friend of mine on her gave me some good advice in regards to this. It kinda agrees with you. By the way, thanks for the article too. It really helps.

I have only been in the program for a week now and I am feeling amazing. I woke up today in no pain for the first time in a month, and I have stayed that way all day.

I saw your video for Day 7 of the program a couple days ago. Good job on your help with the program.

4. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Hello.

My experience with valium should be precautionary.

Although I was an occasional valium user to help with pain issues
    over a five year period I have had extreme difficulty in withdrawal.
    Although withdrawal can vary with each individual, my experience
    is that I have had, and still have, difficult days of acute withdrawal
    even though my last valium intake was four years previous.
    Also it has complicated my TMS approach as my cognitive function
    & sensory sense is often unreliable.

My situation was exasperated by abrupt withdrawal. You should
    'google' benzodiazepine withdrawal to become more informed.
    The work of Dr Heather Ashton is another vital resource.
    She recommends a tapered withdrawal regardless of intake amount.

Whatever decision you make just make sure that you are informed.

I wish I had been more cautious.

Pete

ps. Great news on your pain free periods.....

5. cirrusnarea

Good advice Peter,

I know that they can be addictive and that some people may go through severe withdrawal. My intake of these drugs is minimal. I've gone fairly long periods in between taking them and have no withdrawal. Even so, your advice is something that anyone taking these drugs should be cautious of.

Thanks for your congrats too. I'm on my second day of waking up with no pain. This is really amazing. I feel like I've gotten my life back.

Becca likes this.
  6. Becca

Becca Well known member

CONGRATS! Echoing Pete, this is great news! What a powerful experience, regaining control of your life. Truly amazing. Congratulations.

7. cirrusnarea

Hi Becca, thanks for your input. Been waking up with pain for about a month now, so it feels so good to wake up without it. Getting my life back is amazing, I'm filled with a lot of hope right now.