1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What did your healing journey feel like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hopefulhealing, Nov 25, 2022.

1. hopefulhealing

hopefulhealing Newcomer

I'm curious for those who have healed their TMS symptoms, what did your healing journey feel like? I know I can't expect a linear process to becoming pain-free, but I am feeling frustrated after having a good week of relief from pelvic pain after first reading about TMS in Healing Back Pain. I felt the pain dissipating every day only for it to start coming back stronger in my glutes where it had not been before. I am continuing to educate myself on TMS and journal every day, but I am feeling scared and frustrated by the new pain sensations that I have started. Hoping to hear more from others about what the trajectory of your journey was like. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but some advice for those who overcame a set-back would be nice.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know what kind of work or program you're doing, @hopefulhealing, but people doing a guided program, such as the SEP, often report what Dr. Sarno calls "the symptom imperative" at about a week or so. Also called an "extinction burst". Increased symptoms and new symptoms are extremely common experiences. It's simply your fearful brain fighting back, and the great news is that this is proof of the TMS mechanism at work.

Just do a keyword search on either of those terms, and you'll find a ton of hits here on the forum, which will tell you everything you need to know. And of course, don't give up - you're obviously on the right track!

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Up and down, up and down!! I have now had 10 years free of fibro - but i still get the odd burst of symptoms - pain etc. I always assume any new symptom is TMS and call it out and do some 'caretaking' work - journalling, meditation - take some me time and ponder - is there a trigger?
    This usually resolves things - there is always a trigger!!! But if not I would then look at a physical cause.... perhaps i have pulled a muscle cutting hedges or suchlike. Usually it is TMS - very occasionally it is an actual injury....
    I find it is important not to lose sight of the fact i am a TMS type personality/character - a leopard does not change its spots...but it could recognise it is spotted....!!

JanAtheCPA likes this.