1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides What's the best way for me to deal with my fear

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Forest, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

On behalf of the PPD/TMS Peer Network's Q&A with an Expert program, Peer Network member Enrique forwarded the following question to Dr. Peter Zafirides.

Dr. Zafirides response is as follows:

Dr. Zafirides is President of Central Ohio Behavioral Medicine, Inc. (COBMI), Clinical Assistant Professor at Ohio State University’s Department of Psychiatry, and Staff Psychiatrist at Southeast, Inc. His area of interest within psychiatry is the mind-body role of emotions in physical illness - specifically chronic pain. He has been published in this area of psychiatry, lecturing both nationally and internationally on this topic. Dr. Zafirides has received Best Doctors In America recognition for 7 consecutive years since 2005. He has also been recognized nationally with the Patients' Choice Award in 2008, 2010 and 2011 as well as the Compassionate Doctor Award in 2010. His website is http://www.thehealthymind.com/

2. Marla

Marla Peer Supporter

Thanks for posting this. It's hard to push through fear, but you have to do it to overcome it.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Taking this a step forward, I think a lot of people fear the TMS/PPD approach because they just don't know if it will work. When I first started the PPD approach, it was after I tried tons of other approaches and treatments, none of which helped. I think there is this little thought in people's heads that says here is another approach that will probably not work, which leads to the thought that if this doesn't work then what will? Personally, I think I feared that I would never be myself again. But once I confronted this fear, understood why I had it, and committed to this approach it faded away.

I did something similar to how I got over my fear of roller coasters. When I was young I was afraid of roller coasters. They scared me to death and I wouldn't go on any of the big ones. But then I just watched tons of other people going on them and told myself, over and over and over again, that nothing terrible is happening to these people, and eventually I overcame my fear (however I still get knots in my stomach when I wait in line). With my symptoms, sure I was afraid to be active again. But I read so many stories of people who fully recovered that I thought, "Hey, if it works for them, it will work for me." I gave the approach a try and sure enough I was able to overcome both my fear and symptoms.

When it comes down to it, I think the biggest help in overcoming my fear was simply accepting the diagnosis. I had to accept that I had PPD and not a structural problem, and that the reason nothing else worked was because I never treated the cause only the symptoms. We fear PPD because of past treatment failures, but this doesn't make sense because all of the previous treatments I tried did not understand the actual problem. PPD treatment is inherently different from all past treatments because it is the only one that address the actual cause of our symptoms. As Dr. Z mentioned, it's all about taking that chance and getting started with the program.

Enrique likes this.
  4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

I have a lot of faith in the diagnosis although I still have a long way to go. I even took out "alternative therapies" from my health insurance plan just minutes ago - I am so sure that this is the problem.

But yeah - the fear part has me. And I am struggling my way past it.And of course my ramped anxiety levels. Everyday there is something new. I tried to work on some new mantras for today. We'll see how it goes.

BG

5. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

forest you made a good point here.. look into your past and say "i've tried everything there is to do physically for this problem. what do i have to lose by going the PPD/TMS route?" thats the boat i'm in right now ive actually made a list of all of the things ive done to try and treat this problem and have seen they didn't work. what is the point of continually doing the same old things you tried already to fix the issue when you could be doing something new that will actually work. yeah one of those things that is feared would be "is this going to work or is it going to be another thing i try and doesn't work at all for me and then im screwed". if you go into it with that attitude you're putting yourself up for failure right from the get go. my new favorite quote is "what you fear you will create" so if you fear that the TMS/PPD treatment program won't work for you like the other stuff you tried in the past didn't then you're sure enough probably going to experience failure. i've learned to change my negative thought patterns on treatments because its not doing me any good. i think other people on this forum have the same problem because you dont want to waste any more time on crap that isn't going to work. you get frustrated with doctors who haven't fixed you and then you run across things like treatments for MBS and you see the doubt that most mainstream doctors have for it. this makes you question and doubt the process but you just have to overlook that.

6. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

I feel the roller coaster fear a lot on airplanes, when I cannot see the ground, especially at night, when it is bumpy and over water. Hmmm, something to think about this fear and TMS....