1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
Who is the Inner Bully, really?
For the majority of people with TMS, simply acknowledging our emotions is enough to get better. We have spent so long repressing these feelings, that all we need is to recognize they do exist and do not make us horrible people.

As for the Inner Bully, it is more important to stand up to it, then to get angry with with. You need to soothe yourself, and let yourself know that it is okay to make a mistake. I would add though, that when you direct your anger at your inner bully, you are actually directing it at your parents and not actually at yourself. You are becoming angry at how your past has developed these harmful traits in you. When I get angry at my own inner bully, there is a feeling that I am not actually angry at myself, but at the way in which I was raised. This does seem to help me reduce my perfectionism and anxiety.

Keep in mind though, that we are all different, so if something seems forced to you, it may be a good idea to find another way to accomplish the task, such as becoming more soothing.