1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

New Program Day 1: Introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

I am starting this program again. ...As some things have changed and I want to do a deeper experience of the program.
    While I am seldom in pain after years of Sarno, Schubiner and the TMS wiki, I have had two migraines in two weeks. My sleep is weird. I know there is something up with me... a restlessness. An existential thing about living fully. When I get to these places, my body often starts complaining and demanding change.
    So I am here to listen to my body. Again.

Asherman27 likes this.
  2. NWWU

NWWU New Member

I had a relapse and I'm going to do this program again. Thanks for still being here!

3. mesparza

mesparza Newcomer

Thank yo7 for posting this. I hope to eliminate pain in my body!

4. Nissou

Nissou New Member

hi jules did you finally reach the 100%? And what was helpful for you?

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Peer Supporter

I first came to this site years ago and am doing this program again and just want to say I am so glad there are still people active here. Chronic pain can be so lonely.

6. AndyRamone

AndyRamone Newcomer

I did this program last year for severe lower back / left leg pain, after multiple Drs and Surgeons said it was a bulging disc that needed surgery. I'm ecstatic to say that by the end of the 3 weeks, I was 85% pain free. And after a few months I was 100% pain free. I'm starting this program again to work on the tinnitus I've had for many years. I did however play in loud bands since the 80's, so my brain thinks its related to that. I need to prove it wrong!!

Hayley and Lizzy like this.
  7. Yonko

Yonko Newcomer

Sounds almost exactly like me, even the tinnitus. Good luck. I have lost allergies, asthma, constipation, irregular heart beats. back pain, and knee pai,n at about the same rate that you did, but the tinnitus has lingered. Let us know if something works for it.

8. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

Alan, thank you so much for this. I am planning on logging in every day!

9. SS65

SS65 Newcomer

I am so happy to learn how to break the pain cycle!

10. Illcat

Illcat New Member

I'm just upset that I am finally coming around to this in 2018/2019..lol

PrplMntnMjsty likes this.
  11. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

Hi there, Mike. Very nice to meet you. And very nice to meet the rest of you as well. I hope you're all getting better with every passing day.

:)

Mike, like you, I suffer from idiopathic peripheral neuropathy, and I was just wondering if you've had any success in overcoming it. I've had it for just under a year now (along with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome) and I'm about to embark on Alan's program in an attempt to rid myself of it. I'd love to hear about your experience if you're willing to share it.

Thanks in advance!

Jon

12. mikeknapp101

mikeknapp101 New Member

13. mikeknapp101

mikeknapp101 New Member

Hi Jon, unfortunately I've not made any progress. I have gone back and forth on whether or not this neurological pain was indeed TMS. I have grown very discouraged in trying to overcome it. I have considered working through a program again but not real excited at the prospect of getting my hope up and then face the old cycle of disappointment again

14. MTL_Jon

MTL_Jon New Member

I'm very sorry to hear that, Mike. If it makes you feel any better (though I doubt it will), I can't tell if my neurological pain is TMS or not, either. It certainly hasn't gotten any better since I started this program, although some of my other physical issues have. Anyways, you ever want to have a private chat about this, maybe get stuff off your chest, please let me know. In the meantime, keep your chin up.

15. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi Mike, it’s totally understandable that you’re feeling discouraged. We feel encouraged when we see progress, so it makes sense to feel discouraged in its absence.

Sometimes it takes really believing that the pain is TMS in order to truly overcome the fear of it. You may want to reach out to Howard Schubiner (a tms physician) to help reinforce to you that it’s tms. Sometimes that’s what it takes to overcome the fear.

16. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi Andy, if it helps, I’ve never seen a case of tinnitus that didn’t end up being TMS. Tinnitus is like pain, if we believe it’s truly a reflection of some sort of damage, it’s hard not to be scared of it.

You don’t need to prove your brain wrong. That’s just going to generate more tension. Symptoms don’t go away when we’re working very hard to overcome them. All you need to do is reinforce that it’s not dangerous, that it’s your brain simply overreacting to normal sound waves. You know why? Because even if you did accumulate some wear and tear by being in a band (which I doubt you did by the way...), it wouldn’t result in tinnitus. That’s not how it works. At worst, you’d have minor hearing loss. But not tinnitus.

Tinnitus is one of the symptoms I had too. It can be scary, but the path to recovery is the same as is with pain. Just tell your brain that you’re safe, that it’s simply your brain overreacting to normal, every day sound waves, and go about enjoying your life to the best of your ability.

PrplMntnMjsty and NameK like this.
  17. mikeknapp101

mikeknapp101 New Member

Thanks, Alan.

18. GShaw

GShaw Peer Supporter

I am back after about 3 months.

This time around it is nice to see a few people still using this program. In October when I first went through this program for severe shin pain related to back issues this program was very quiet.

I am thrilled to say, with the assistance of this program I went from struggling to walk 5 minutes without pain to now walking several hours with little to no pain. I am still amazed how powerful the mind can be in regards to our health. It is actually scary when you start to realize the power of the mind.

What I am starting to learn when I put "Common Sense" to use, something like this program could be successful to deal with a lot more than just pain.

Why Am I Back:

I am here for a few reasons.

1) I have suffered with tinnitus for many years now thanks to loud music.
    2) I am currently suffering with tightness in my neck and throat area. According to Alan he feels there is a very good chance this is TMS.
    3) I screwed my knee up in the spring of 2018 trying to stretch and relieve my original issue. I aggravated my knee recently trying to stretch my leg because of tight hamstring and quads.
    4) Just to help reinforce pain in general

Time will tell whether this program will help with the above.

Just know, this program is amazing and can work.

Please feel free to read my story.

Good luck to everyone on this program.

19. Looking forward to getting focused on my journey to recovery through a structured program after reading some books on the subject (TMS, mind-body, etc.). Been in constant pain since 2005, which has caused me to not participate in sports, which were a big part of my life since childhood (e.g., soccer, volleyball, biking, tennis, skiing, you name it). No way that the chronic pain in my neck, back, and at times sciatica, can be attributed solely to injuries that I experienced in the past or to sitting in a office at present. Willing and able to take another approach, as surgery for my back / neck has always been something that I have been against, though family and friends have encouraged it.

20. Rotanzania

Rotanzania New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for your honesty. I'm back for a second time. First time chronic back pain, John Sarno's book healed me 85% just by readin it- amazing. Three years on, I have gastritis, struggling to eat, doctors are baffled... So I reckon it must be TMS again. Someone said to me that this is the work of the brave, so I try to stay positive and determined and live as normal a life as possible, but I am just exhausted!