1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Day 1 :(GT) life without TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by georgethee, Jun 27, 2017.

1. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

It felt like it start January 3th 2017. That night I woke up with tremendous pain just above my schoulder blade. That morning I got out of bed with less pain but a deep pressure sensation when turning my neck. I thought I pulled or strained a muscle and took some advil. This went on for at least 3 when it got worse I got numbness in my fingers when sleeping.
    I made an appointment with my Orthopedic Doctor which I saw 3 years previous with a similar shoulder blade pain. He looked at the old X-rays did some tests and told me I had some normal wear and tear and maybe had a pinched nerve and not to worry . He send me off to do some physical therapy and everything would be okay again. But it didn’t.
    Im a very active athlete and love to workout. I was in pain and stop working out for the weeks I did PT.
    After 2 weeks I tried doing a light workout and it felt the pain got worse, or would come back slighty worse. Going back to PT would make it slightly better again and sometimes the pain would disappear for hours.
    After months of discomfort my wife mentioned a Howard Stern story about this doctor Sarno. She told me to watch 20/20 and read his book. Which I did. I noticed halfway through the book that my pain started to fade. At the end of the book I was convinced I had TMS. Im still in discomfort mostly muscle pain and some burning sensation at the trap and schoulderblade. Im trying to take the next step and see if I can get rid of this last part of TMS that just keeps coming back.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Georgethee, Welcome to the TMS healing community. You are doing everything right... you had X-rays and tests and nothing serious structurally was found. Your pains started on the third day of the new year. That could very well indicate that you had/have some anxiety about starting the new year. Are you stressing about something new, or maybe something triggered some repressed fears or anger. Journaling will in he SEProgram will help you with this. It's good that your wife suggested TMS. You don't have to share your daily progress with her, unless you and she want to. But it is helpful that she believes TMS emotions may be at the root of your pains. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt.
    You already said something about the start of the new year. I was planning a big trip for March to see my parents and sister who still live in Europe. I was taking my wife and mother in law (so she could meet the whole family). I had been 'stressing' about booking the flights, house and car rental. The pain continued once in Europe. I felt bad for my wife and my parents, I was noticeable irritated. I guess I have more unconcious stress/anger/anxiety that I have to dig for .It's June still have symptoms of pain, although much less and much more concentrated in one spot.