1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 37: Self-care

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by birder, May 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. birder

birder Well known member

Sometimes I confuse the things I things I do for myself that are motivated by self-compassion, and those that are motivated by fear, as I recently learned. I'm working on the latter, but there are a few that are clear-cut. I walk my dog every morning, no matter what, because walking a dog is one of the most joyous things one can do. It's done out of pure love: for my dog, for the outdoors, for the pleasure of moving even if it isn't perfect. I also spend at least a few minutes, more if I can get away with it, looking at birds (I confess I even talk to my "regulars" around my neighborhood: the purple finch family, the violet-green swallows zipping around overhead and gobbling up the mosquitos, the song sparrow right outside my front door who belts out his love song throughout the day.) Birds make me feel connected to something larger, and protecting and conserving them is something I've committed myself to.
    I've done both those things today. I've also taken care of some really grown-up-ass stuff - dealing cordially with my ex, doing tax stuff - and for that I'm going to have some cheese. You can't go wrong with cheese!

Ellen likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for the nice report birder! I feel relaxed reading this, and like I would enjoy more time with very simple pleasures.